Chapter [11]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

Couple of days later

I sigh thinking over the last few days, how both Rebekah and Elijah seemingly betrayed Nik.

Walking into the courtyard I take a seat next to Hayley at the opposite end of the table from Nik, surrounded by a dozen vampires.

I feel their eyes burn into Hayley and I's appearance. Rolling my eyes at their childish behaviour I take a long sip of my water.

Nik stands up holding up his glass of champagne, "Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift: immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine."

I watch in disgust as the waitresses and waiters cut their wrists filling up the empty glasses.

"Insatiable need, exquisite pain...Our victories, and our defeats."

I could feel my stomach churn.

"To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow..."

"...and the party never end!" Marcel finishes, raising his glass.

"To New Orleans," Some dude shouts.

I see Nik smile, "To New Orleans!"

I lift my drink up reluctantly mumbling along with everyone else. 

"New Orleans."

I take a tiny swig placing my cup onto the table.

Nik smiles happily at the group, "I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires."

One vampire points at me, "What about her? And the other one?"

I stare at him feeling my eyes turn slightly golden, "I have a name you know."

Nik walks over to me placing a hand on my shoulder, "Yes Danielle we know that."

He turns to the vampire, "Had you'd let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like to address. As many of you know, Danielle is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect, as well as her sister; Hayley."