Chapter [56]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

I stare in the mirror wearing a beautiful purple dress for this evening's ball.

"So," Nik beams from the doorway, "You're joining Hayley and Elijah to this 'extravaganza' Elijah's sireline are holding."

I nod brushing down my skirt, "Yes. I want some answers. And to meet this Tristan you've been talking with Elijah about."

"Be careful," Nik warns, "These vampires are mostly 900 years old. They're experienced fighters."

I sigh, "Nik, I'm an original hybrid. They can't kill me, you don't have to worry about my safety."

"I do if white oak falls into play......"

I walk over to him placing my hands on his face, stroking his cheeks delicately, "I'll be fine."

He leans forward kissing me softly, "Well, have fun being the third wheel."

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

Elijah links his arms with Hayley and I, walking confidently into the ballroom.

I glance around at the various vampires in attendance.

Hayley shudders slightly, "Why are they all staring at you?"

Elijah scans the room, "I'm kind of a big deal around here."

I catch Hayley's eyes who blinks in realisation, "They're all part of your sireline."

"Most of them, tragically, yes. You see, Hayley, Danielle, I wanted to assemble minds curious about the world and eager to improve it, along with the time and circumstance to do so. My desire was to create an elite brotherhood devoted to a new, better civilization. It was naive," He admits, "Eventually, I was forced to abandon them once I realized I'd cultivated a legion of ego-maniacal sociopaths."

"Lovely," I mutter hovering close to the couple who begin dancing, "So, where is this Tristan guy? I want to meet him for myself."

Elijah doesn't respond his eyes on Marcel standing next to a woman.

"Elijah, what's wrong?"

Marcel looks up noticing Elijah, Hayley and I.

"What the hell is Marcel doing here?" Hayley hisses.

Elijah mumbles under his breathe, "I should have known."

"Known what?" I ask leaning a metre away from them against the bar sipping on a glass of champagne.