Chapter [77]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

I walk out of a gas station heading over to our parked SUV waving a cap towards Nik.

His face morphs into horror, "Absolutely not!"

I roll my eyes, "We need to blend in! You could start by losing the thousand-dollar jacket."

"Tell me again why we're on a scenic tour of Methamphetamine country, and not compelling a jet to some far off preferably tropical destination?" Nik sighs buttoning up his coat turning around following to the car.

I open the door to check on Hope placing the bags next to her on the back seat.

"Look, I'm not the one with an army of pissed-off vampires coming after me," stepping back I close the door, "Can I have the keys?"

Nik let's out a dramatic exhale placing the keys in my hand, "On a scale from one to ten, exactly how much am I going to despise this little plan of yours?"

I grin thinking it over before slamming the cap on Nik's head, "I would say....a solid eighty-five."

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

Gently, I push open a damaged wooden door to a familiar bar placing Hope's carrier onto a bar seat, setting myself down next to her.

"Well, I can see why you wanted to come here," Nik comments sarcastically, "I feel safer already."

A bartender looks over at Nik and I.

"We're closed."

Nik narrows his eyes scanning the area, "You don't look closed...."

The bartender glares, "We are for you."

Nik sits down beside me, "Well, perhaps you failed to notice the hat?"

I sigh looking at the bartender, "I'll take a bourbon. Unless Hollis is still serving that moonshine of his?"

The bartender goes to respond when I see Hollis walking over with a huge grin on his face.

"Well, I'll be damned!" He greets patting the bartender on the shoulder, "I got this."

"It's been a while, Danielle, right?"

I nod with a smile, "You remember."

"Of course, it's been a long time since you and Hayley danced on my bar."