Chapter [21]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

Three days later.

Hayley and Eve help me prepare to give birth.

I lay trying to comply in the shack bed.

Eve nods at me, "That's it. Inhale and release."

I sigh, "I guess this means no epidural, huh? You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?"

Eve smiles warmly, shaking her head, "Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born. Stop worrying."

Hayley speaks up, "Okay. Then what, Eve?"

I nod, "I don't even know what it's like to have a proper mother, let alone be one myself."

Eve places a hand on mine, "Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do."

I smile, "I hope so. As fun as it is to image Nik changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone."

Hayley gives a small laugh.

Eve shakes her head smiling, "I somehow doubt that."

Elijah appears in the doorway.

"Pardon the interruption. I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising," he says, glancing at Hayley and I.

Sighing we get up and talk to Elijah, along with Jackson and Oliver.

"You're making a grave mistake," Elijah states.

Oliver roles his eyes, "So, you're just worried about us. Is that it?"

Jackson holds his hand up to Oliver, "Look, Elijah. We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse --"

"-- Our gift --" Oliver interrupts.

"--Then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to."

Elijah nods, "I see. There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation."

Oliver nods, "Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way."

Elijah looks at Hayley and I, "You both signed a pledge, and you looked me in the eye as you did so."

I shrug at him.