Chapter [30]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

The next evening

I walk around the bayou with Nik by my side, glancing around at the empty camps where the wolves used to live.

"This is a waste of time," I state, "It's deserted."

Nik shakes his head, "No, their scent is fresh. They're hiding."

I look at him confused watching as he starts searching through the tents.

"Which means somewhere nearby, we will find the remnants of your pack," he informs me.

I sigh, "...And then what? It's not exactly like they're going to welcome us. If there's one thing these people hate more than vampires, it's hybrids."

Nik smiles, "What they hate is their lack of power. Hence the willingness of their brethren to deal with that witch in exchange for rings! But, she hasn't gotten to your lot yet, so, we need to get to them first and ensure they align with us."

I look at him skeptically, "Awesome. All we gotta do is find them."

He grins widely, "A task I leave to you."

I stare at him not knowing what to do.

"Go on!"

I take a deep breathe, "I don't know what to do?"

He smiles, "Well, you're a hybrid now, with heightened senses unlike anything under the sun... besides me. You should be able to catch their scent."

I roll my eyes at him, reluctantly taking a sniff, surprisingly smelling something, closing my eyes trying to focus on it.

After a few moments, I open my eyes sighing angrily, "This is stupid!"

Nik shakes his head, "Your people need a leader! You are their queen!"

"No! I am a mess! I cry all day, I feed all night. All I can think about is how much I miss our daughter," I admit, "Those are no traits for a leader."

Nik looks at me empathetically, before gently speaking, "Do you think you're alone in that pain?"

"You think about her all the time, don't you?" I whisper sadly.

He nods, "I have not stopped thinking about her! When it pains me, I seek comfort in the idea of what I will do to those who would harm her."