Part 1: Decisions

Xuan's POV

Xuan's POV

Finally, after hiding the truth: the secret of Xian's conception, close to my heart, I had confessed to my father in front of YiJun gege.
YiJun gege, the one I had trusted to take care of my son, had fallen for him.

No, I hadn't heard him say that, but I could tell by the look in his eyes every time my son's name was mentioned. It was the same look I had seen in Zhen's eyes for me multiple times. It was love. I am sure father had seen it too.

Was it to protect Xian that Gege had pledged to abandon him, or was it to save himself?

As soon as the thought comes to me, I reprimand myself. Gege would never put himself before the safety of my son, I was sure of it. Hadn't he pledged to protect him when he had held him for the first time? Hadn't he done just that when he had drawn his sword on father to shield my son?

No, I could never repay the kindness he had shown, not only to me but my son as well, but still, it did not make sense for him to fall in love with him.

I wanted to ask him so many things...things I had thought impossible for him. Love was just one of them.

I am transported back to the fateful day when Xian had entered my life. I can still remember the look on Gege's face as he had held him.

Was he in love even then...in love with my son?

A plethora of emotions ranging from doubt, fear, disgust, anger, and apprehension flood my heart, all of them simmering under the blanket of gratitude.

Gratitude...irreplacable gratitude is what I feel most intensely towards my brother.

Gege was the most loyal being I had ever come across, wasn't he? If that was true, then there was no way that he would ever misuse his power and take undue advantage of Xian.

As soon as I think of my son, I start to wonder where Gege could have left him. The one thing he had done right was that he had thought about how our father might react. Gege had probably hidden him somewhere safe before returning.

Where are you, son?

My mind starts to buzz. It's a feeling that had eluded me for almost two decades.

"Jiejie!" I hear someone call me. "I am afraid father will end Xiōngdì!" The panicking voice adds, but the words lose their meaning before reaching me.

I look around, wiping my brow as sweat trickles down my temple. I can tell that it's hot, incredibly so, but the heat doesn't touch me. The wall is painted in a sickening shade of scarlet, and the stench that permeates the air makes bile rise to my throat.

I close my senses like I had been taught by Gege all those centuries ago, and instantly, my mind clears up. My eyes drift to the only item in the room situated at the far end: a mammoth throne.