Part 2: Choices and Consequences

Xian's POV

Xian's POV

It's cold and warm at the same time. I open my eyes to sunlight escaping through gaps between shimmering leaves.

What is this place, I wonder, sitting up and looking around. It's a garden, that much is obvious, but it's unlike any I have seen in my short lifespan.

An apple tree catches my eyes; it stands right in the middle of a Lotus pond. The low-lying branches look inviting and tempting. Unconsciously, my feet carry me towards it.

"Xian." The wind whispers as I am about to touch it, and my hand stills before plucking the ripened fruit.

"What do you choose?" Gentle voice inquiries, making me turn around and look for the source, but I am all alone.

"What are my choices?" I ask, only to receive silence as a response.

I wait and wait till my stomach grows and my feet ache. I step out of the pond and decide to perch myself on top of a branch. I fall asleep almost instantly.

When I wake next, I am still in the forest; only this time, Jun is lying by my side with his arm possessively draped over my shoulder.

"Jun," I cup his cheek, and knowing full well that he can hear me, I demand, "Where are we?"

"Heaven." He replies, taking in a deep breath; he opens his eyes, "I need you to choose, Xian. What will it be? Heaven or the underworld?"

"Can't we return home?" I ask, wondering why that was not one of the options, and wait for Jun's answer.

"We can't."

Slowly the events that had happened before I had woken up in the garden returned to me. "Wait! Am I dead? Is this a dream?"

"You are not dead. You are between realms. I can't tell you much more than that. I am sorry." He replies and leans down to kiss my forehead. "By the way, I am proud of you, and so is your mother."

"I would like to meet her. Can I?"

"Maybe. It depends on what you chose. You need to choose. Now."

"What happened to Hei Chi?" I enquire, trying to ignore the hunger in my heart and belly.

"That depends on your choice." His answer is annoying and frustrating.

"Jun, at least give me something to go on. How am I to make a choice when I don't know the consequences, hum?"

Jun averts his eyes and remains silent.

"Fine. I chose us. Anywhere is fine as long as we can be together."

"Are you sure?"

I nod.

"What if you can never see your mother?"