Part 1: Choices and Consequences

YiJun's POV

YiJun's POV

I know that I am fighting a losing battle, but it doesn't matter. I dodge Hei Chi's attacks with everything I have.

I am aware that it is not enough, but giving up is not an option; I am here to buy time and distract the 'king of the underworld' till my father's return.

From what Elder Meng had told me days ago, I had concluded that if heaven was to return to its former glory, we needed its ruler back, strong in body and mind.

The eternal tree was perishing, and only the ultimate sacrifice could stop it.

When I had told Xian what I needed from him, he had agreed without hesitation; his confidence, strength, and conviction had nourished my belief that what we had planned would work.

Was I a hundred percent sure?

No, but for now, it had to be enough.

Even as I defend myself from Hei Chi's unrelenting attacks, I wonder if I had perhaps chosen wrongly.

After having a much-needed conversation with Elder Meng and my siblings, we had concluded that Xian was the only one who could save the eternal tree and, by extension, the Heavenly and the mortal realms.

The price was his life; there was also a catch: Xian's sacrifice would only count if he did it without hesitation or regret.

'How could the heavens be so unkind…so cruel?' I had contemplated.

Why was the price to restore the realms to their former glory an innocent boy's life?

When I had voiced my thoughts, the Elder had smiled, "I know what you are thinking, YiJun, but I can't give you any answers now; what I can suggest is to keep your faith alive; trust in heaven and what it stands for."

My mind drifts to my last conversation with Xian.

'Jun, will my sacrifice cure the eternal tree?'

'Yes.'

'Will it save heaven and the mortal realm?'

'Yes.'

'Is that all I have to do?'

'Yes.'

'That's great; I would have liked to meet my mother before it, but knowing that my end will save her is good enough for me.'

'Are you sure you are willing to do it, Xian?'

'Yes,'

'Do you understand that we won't be seeing each other ever again?'
'I do.'

'Are you willing to condemn me to a world that doesn't have you walking alongside me?'

'Yes, because I know that if heaven perishes, you won't be able to forgive yourself; I would rather you hate me than yourself.'