Chapter 26: Back To School

Chapter 26: Back to School

The rest of Thomas' summer break couldn't have been better. After making up with his uncle Prince and convince him to stay, Thomas managed to reconcile him with his paternal side of the family... well, at least they were on civil terms, as neither Bandit or Rad couldn't possibly become exactly friends with him after everything they passed through together. After promising him he would visit him to New York once he was ready to do it, Thomas bid goodbye to Prince at the airport, before the latter could return. After that, Thomas spent the last days of summer break playing with his sisters, going to the beach or skating around, both with his rollerblades around the neighborhood or with his ice blades at the stadium his father had once told him about.

It was then that, with the last days of January, came the first day of school. At the morning of that day, Thomas had woken up early to do his morning jogging, like usual, except he was not doing it alone anymore, as his Dad had decided to join him, decided to get in shape after what happened during Thomas' last panic attack. "Come on, dad, try not to get too much behind," Thomas said, running in place, while waiting for his dad who was having troubles to keep up with his son. "Well... you're too fast, son..." he said. "Maybe you're just too old, after all, you're not exactly young," Thomas commented, teasingly. "Very funny, I'm still young, you know, I'm still a few years away from the 40s," Bandit replied. "Whatever makes you feel good, dad," Thomas replied. Bandit then noticed the smoothie bar next to them. "Hey, why don't we go for a shake? I could use some avo and banana with a little bit of cinnamon, I know it's your favorite," Bandit suggested. "Fine, but then we go back home running and without stopping," Thomas replied. "Deal," Bandit replied.

And so they went to buy their shakes and then sit down to take them. "So, are you ready for school?" Bandit asked. "I think so... I have plans for this year, actually" Thomas said. "Oh, really? And what plans are those?" Bandit asked. "I'm planning... to get into the touch football team, just like you, uncle Rad and uncle Stripe did" he replied. "That's great! I'm so happy for you, son, I hope you make it to the team," Bandit said. "Me too, I just want to make you proud," Thomas said. "You already did, mate... although having my son following my steps in one of my favorite sports is rather satisfying, hey, if you want, you can give the cricket team a go, you know, I was the youngest cricket in my school," Bandit replied. "Yeah, I think I'm going to stick to the touch football, dad," Thomas told.

"Okay... just don't forget to take your pills with you," Bandit said. "I know that, dad," Thomas replied. "Sorry, it's just, after your last episode, I got a little overzealous with your well care," Bandit confessed. "But I'm fine, dad, really," Thomas reassured. "You know... we still haven't talked about... well, the elephant in the room" Bandit told, with Thomas realizing what he was talking about "I know what you told your sisters that day, what you felt about me after your mother and I... Well, what I'm trying to say is that I know you have more repressed feelings about me and, if those feelings are causing you harm... All I want is for you to share with me whatever you may be harboring, when you're ready," Bandit said. "Don't worry, dad... I will," Thomas promised.

After that, they returned home where they took a quick shower before coming to the kitchen to get breakfast, with Chilli and the girls already taking it. "So, who's ready for a great first day of school?" Bandit asked, as he and Thomas served themselves on some toast that Chilli had just prepared. "I am!" Bingo exclaimed. "But not me..." Bluey said, a little saddened. "What's the matter, Bluey?" Thomas asked. "She's just sad because she's starting grade 1 and will leave Calypso's class," Chilli said. "I love Calypso, I wished I could remain on prep school," Bluey told. "Come on, squirt, you know that's not how it works," Bandit said. "You know, Bluey, I understand what you're feeling, passing to grade 1 was also a great change for me, but you'll see everything will be fine," Thomas said. "Do you promise?" Bluey asked. "Of course, you're going to meet a new teacher, learn new things, make new friends... and I bet you'll still have your friends from prep to help you," Thomas told. That made Bluey smile. "Thank you, big brother," she said, hugging him and wagging her tail. "You're welcome, little sister," he replied, while hugging her back, also wagging his tail. Bandit and Chilli couldn't help but smile at that scene.