Part Thirty Eight

After the 'meeting' in the Bridge of the Helicarrier, you haven't seen Tony or Bruce. Fury gave them a lab, where they were working together.

Some time later, you were with Coulson when Fury walked down the hallway, heading towards the lab. He saw you and gestured for you to come over.

"What happened?" You asked.

"I need you to come with me." Fury said and walked inside the lab, with you following him.

Inside, you found Tony sitting on the table and Bruce behind him. They stopped what they were doing when they saw you and Fury.

"What are you doing, Mr. Stark?"Fury asked, anger evident in his voice.

"Uh...kind of been wondering the same thing about you." Tony said.

"What's happening?" You asked, confused.

Fury ignored your question as he continued talking to Tony and Bruce."You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract."

"We are." Bruce said as he showed you and Fury the monitor behind you."The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile."

"And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss." Tony said and you saw as suddenly his monitor showed a collection of locked files."What is Phase 2?"

You watched as, suddenly, Steve dropped a HYDRA assault rifle on the table causing Fury, Banner and Tony to turn around to face him. Steve was, obviously, angry."Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons. Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow."He added the last part, speaking to Tony.

Fury walked towards him and began to explain, as Tony moved off the table. "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're-"

"I'm sorry, Nick." Tony interrupted him. He moved the computer screen towards Fury, which showed plans of weapons. "What, were you lying?"

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve said as Thor and Natasha walked into the lab as well. Natasha kept her eyes right on Banner, and Banner kept his eyes on her.

"Did you know about this?" He asked Natasha.

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?" Natasha asked.

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed."

"Loki's manipulating you."Natasha said as she walked towards Banner.

"And you've been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you!"

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."He said, pointing to the monitor.

"Because of him!" Fury suddenly said, pointing at Thor.

"Me?" Thor asked in surprise.

"Two years ago, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town." Fury explained. "We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned."

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor said.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you?" Fury asked. "And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."

"Like you controlled the cube?" Steve asked.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies." Thor said, moving towards Fury. "It is the signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war."