Part Forty Two

Later that same day, you were still in the Stark Tower after Loki was dealt with. Thor took him away to Asgard. You found Tony on the balcony, looking down at the only letter left on the tower - 'A'. He was out of the Iron Man suit, now dressed in a designer white suit.

He heard you approaching him and he looked over his shoulder just as you walked up behind him.

"Hey." You grinned at him and he smiled back at you.

"Hey."

For a few moments, you were looking down at the city in silence. You turned to Tony, your hand gently brushing over his.

"You saved the world."

"We saved the world." Tony corrected you.

"Yeah, I don't remember any of us carrying a nuke into space through a portal." You said, making the scenes of what he saw when he was in space flash before his eyes.

He shook his head and smiled at you."I'd do it again... for you."

You smiled before linking your arm with his, holding onto it while you leaned your head on his shoulder.

"Will you stay?" Tony asked you. You took a deep breath as you looked at the city and the people passing by. There were firefighters who were cleaning the debris off the streets. The city was slowly getting back to life. When you didn't answer, Tony looked down at you.

"I won't." You said, making Tony turn towards you as you let go of his arm.

"Going back to Italy?" He asked and you nodded. "To finish your mission?"

"No, actually, that's not the reason. I asked Fury for a vacation."You said. "I have a life there and I loved living there."

"And you don't have a life here?"Tony asked, making you look at him."I'm sorry for asking that... " He said and you nodded your head, as everything became silent again. After a few moments, Tony spoke up again,"When are you leaving?"

"Today." You answered before checking the time on your phone."I have to go."

"Are you coming back?"

"Maybe." You said with a smile before you reached up to press a kiss on Tony's cheek. "I'll see you again, Tony."

Before you could leave, he pulled you in for a tight hug. You quickly hugged him back, your hands wrapping themselves around his neck as you breathed in his scent.

You stayed like that for a few moments, just hugging as you felt the light breeze on your skin.

After you parted, you gave him a smile before you walked away, through the door and away from Tony's sight. He stood there, looking down at the street. A few minutes later, he saw you leaving the Stark Tower. You looked back at him and smiled before making your way down the street and towards your car.

He put his hands in his pockets and went to walk away, when he noticed something was inside. He pulled out the piece of paper in his pocket and  took a look at it. He saw the address of your home in Italy and your phone number, along with a message under it that said: "If you ever need me."

He smiled before folding the paper and looking down at your car as you drove away from the tower.

It took a few days for you to get adjusted to your old life, but you finally did, finding your peace.

It was months later when you were walking down the street in the city with a girl that was your neighbour. You were laughing, enjoying the feeling of the sun on your skin, the light breeze that messed with your hair and the smell of sea in the air.