Part Fifty Eight

Later in the night, most of the guests had left and it was just the Avengers, along with Maria and Dr. Cho sitting in the living room. You were sat next to Tony, your legs placed over his lap as everyone was drinking around you. Thor's hammer was on the table between you and Clint was talking about it.

"But, it's a trick!"

"Oh, no. It's much more than that."Thor replied.

"Uh, 'Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power of Thor!' Whatever man! It's a trick."

Thor gestured to the hammer. "Well please, be my guest."

"Come on."

"Really?" Clint asked.

"Yeah!"

Clint got up and you smiled before taking your glass of water and taking a long sip.

"Oh this is gonna be beautiful."Rhodey said.

Tony, who was rubbing circles on your calf, spoke up. "Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up." He said, making everyone laugh.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint asked, then went to pick up Thor's hammer but quickly realized he can't lift it. He gave up shortly. "I still don't know how you do it."

"Smell the silent judgment?" Tony asked him.

"Please, Stark, by all means."

Tony didn't back down from the challenge. You moved your legs from his lap and he got up, before you placed your legs back on the couch.

"Oh, here we go." Natasha smiled at you and you shrugged.

"Okay."

"Uh-oh."

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge." Tony said.

"Get after it."

"Here we go." You said.

"It's physics."

Tony grabbed Thor's hammer and looked at Thor. "Right, so, if I lift it, I...I then rule Asgard?"

Thor shrugged. "Yes, of course."

Tony looked at you with a wink. "Get ready, baby, we're gonna be moving to another planet."

"I'd rather not." You said.

Tony tried to lift the hammer but, just as Clint did before, he failed."I'll be right back."And he walked away.

He was back moments later, wearing the hand from his suit. He tried to lift the hammer again and failed.

Some time later, Tony and Rhodey, both wearing the hands of their suits, tried to lift the hammer.

Rhodey looked up at him. "Are you even pulling?"

"Are you on my team?" Tony asked.

"Just represent! Pull!"

"Alright, let's go!" They both pulled as hard as they could.

After he gave up, Tony came back to his spot on the couch and took your legs, placing them over his lap again.

Bruce was trying to lift the hammer, he roared like the Hulk, and everyone either looked at him warily or grinned.

"Huh?"

Steve was the next to try it.

"Let's go, Steve, no pressure."

"Come on, Cap!"