Part Sixty

The Quinjet soon landed outside a large farmhouse. Cautiously, you all walked towards the house while following Clint."What is this place?"Thor was the first one to ask.

Tony looked over at you, "A safe house?"

"Let's hope." Clint answered before all of you entered the house. You looked around, while Clint spoke up again."Honey, I'm home!"

A woman came into sight, which had all of you surprised. She was pregnant and she looked surprised to see you all as well, before her eyes focused on Clint.

"Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

"Hey." The woman smiled at you.

You watched as Clint kissed her, and Tony nudged you, speaking to you and Thor. "This is an agent of some kind."

"Gentlemen, this is Laura." Clint finally introduced the woman.

"I know all your names." She said, while everybody stared at her awkwardly.

A sound of fast footsteps could be heard across the house, quickly approaching the room you found yourselves in. "Ooh, incoming."Clint said before two children came in, running towards Clint and hugging him.

"Dad!" The girl said excitedly, while Clint picked her up.

"Hi, sweetheart!" He said before kissing the top of the boy's head."Hey, buddy! How you guys doing?"

Tony nudged you again, as everybody watched in surprise. "These are...smaller agents."

"Look at your face! Oh, my goodness!"

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The girl asked and Natasha stepped out from behind you, smiling when she saw the girl.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?"

The girl rushed towards Natasha, who picked her up in her arms. Steve nodded at the woman. "Sorry for barging in on you."

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed." Tony added.

"Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off SHIELD's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low."Clint explained.

Meanwhile, Natasha touched the woman's belly. "How's little Natasha, huh?"

The woman looked at her apologetically. "She's…Nathaniel."

Natasha's smile disappeared off her face and she bent towards the woman's belly, whispering to it."Traitor."

Later that day, everybody was given rooms and you walked inside your and Tony's shared one after taking a shower.

He was standing by the window and looking out of it at the large farm, his one hand resting against the wall. You smiled and walked up behind him, your hands wrapping around his body and your head resting against shoulder.

Tony was snapped out of his thoughts, his hands wrapping over yours.

"You thinking about what you saw?"You asked him quietly.

Tony nodded, which made you put your hands down and stand next to him. "Tony... you know it can't be your fault. I know what you were trying to do." You took his hand and Tony intertwined your fingers together."You were trying to protect everybody."

"Still, this is all my fault, isn't it?"Tony asked you.

"You were trying to do the right thing." You said, leaning on his shoulder.

A knock on the door interrupted your conversation and after it opened, you saw Clint's daughter. She gave you a smile before speaking. "Mom said dinner is on the table."

You nodded. "We're coming."

After she was gone, you pulled away from Tony and took your phone, seeing the picture on the lock screen. It was Tony holding your son in the garage back home. You smiled and Tony noticed you looking at the screen.

"You miss him too, don't you?"

You nodded. "I think about him all the time."

"You don't have to worry about his safety." Tony assured you, placing a hand on your shoulder and a kiss on your neck while standing behind you."I choose his nanny, she's been through all trainings and Hill checked on her records."

You smiled, turning around and reaching up to place a kiss on his lips. You moved his hair, fixing it for him."I know. Let's go now."

The next day, Laura and you were walking towards Steve and Tony, who were obviously in a heated discussion about something. "Banner and I were doing research." Tony told Steve, who replied in the same tone.

"That would affect the team!"

"That would end the team." Tony said."Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the "why" we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?"

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time."

Laura interrupted them, approaching Tony. "I'm sorry. Mr. Stark, uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought maybe you might..."

"Yeah, I'll give her a kick." Tony told her, before he turned to Steve, gesturing at his pile of chopped woods. "Don't take from my pile."He turned to you, the tense look vanishing from his face. "You wanna help me?"

You nodded, quickly following after him into the barn as he walked over to the tractor, tapping on it. "Hello, Deere. Tell me everything. What ails you?"

You walked around it, before you heard another voice behind you and Tony.

"Do me a favor. Try not to bring it to life." It said and you turned around, only to see Fury stepping out of the shadows.

"Ah, Mrs. Barton, you little minx."Tony said. "I get it, Maria Hill called you, right? Was she ever not working for you?"

Before Fury could answer, you heard a sound coming from behind him, which you quickly recognized. You looked at Fury, who nodded with a smile. He took the car seat that held your son and turned it towards you."This kid gave me a headache with all the crying. No doubt he's a Stark."

"Good. He should." Tony said as you took the baby from the car seat and held him close to you, kissing the top of his head and rocking him in your arms.

Fury spoke up again, "Artificial intelligence. You never even hesitated."

"Look, it's been a really long day, like, Eugene O'Neill long, so how's about we skip to the part where you're useful?" Tony said as he took the baby from your hands and kissed his hand.

"Look me in the eye and tell me you're going to shut him down." Fury said.

"You're not the director of me."

"I'm not the director of anybody."Fury said as he sat down. "I'm just an old man, who cares very much about you."

"And I'm the man who killed the Avengers." Tony finally said, which made you look at him. "I saw it. I didn't tell the team, how could I?"Fury looked over at you. "She knows... I saw them all dead, Nick. I felt it." He handed you the baby before turning away. "The whole world, too. It's because of me. I wasn't ready. I didn't do all I could."

"The Maximoff girl, she's working you, Stark. Playing on your fear."

"I wasn't tricked, I was shown. It wasn't a nightmare, it was my legacy. The end of the path I started us on."

"You've come up with some pretty impressive inventions, Tony." Fury said before he got up. "War isn't one of them."

Tony smiled as he took the tools to fix the tractor. "I watched my friends die. You'd think that'd be as bad as it gets, right? Nope. Wasn't the worst part."

"The worst part is that you didn't."