Part Thirty Nine

Tony was helping you get up when you heard Fury speaking in your earpiece. "Agent Coulson is down."

You looked to Tony with a gasp.

"Paramedics are on their way."Another voice said.

"They're here."

"I need to go there." You said, trying to get away from Tony, but he grabbed onto your arm and pulled you back.

"You can't." He said, tightening his hold on you.

"They called it." You heard, making you drop to your knees. Tony kneeled next to you, calling your name but you heard it in distance, paired with ringing in your ears.

A few hours later, you were closed in a dark room and sitting on the bed. You kept staring at the wall in front of you, the memories from the past two years you spent with Coulson circling around your head.

The door opened, and a small amount of light shined through the crack and into the room. You didn't look up, but you already knew who it was.

Tony didn't say anything, he just walked into the room and closed the door. He approached the bed and sat down next to you. "How are you feeling?" He asked, his voice soft.

You just shrugged and looked at Tony, who wrapped his arm around you, his hand resting on your shoulder. You laid your head on his shoulder, finding some comfort in him even after what happened between you.

"I'm sorry." He whispered as he placed a kiss on the top of your head."For everything."

"Why did you ruin it?" You whispered in the dark room.

"I... I don't know."

"You ruined everything." You said, a few tears sliding down your cheeks."I loved you, Tony. Like I never loved anybody before."

Loved? Tony wanted to ask what that meant, but decided not to. "I still love you, baby." He whispered.

"I can't keep forgiving you." You said as you moved off his shoulder and sat in your previous position on the bed.

"I know, sweetheart."He placed his hand just above your knee, squeezing it lightly. "Just one last chance. I'd never hurt you like that again, I swear." He took your hand, placing it on top of his chest where you felt the soft thumping of his heart beating in his chest. "As long as I'm alive."He could see the tears sliding down your cheeks as the soft light coming from outside illuminated your face. "I know I don't deserve it. I've hurt you again, and again and again. But I'm truly sorry. You..." He gulped. "You don't have to forgive me right now. I know you need time and I'll wait for you. As long as it takes."

You said nothing, just looked away and bit your lip as you tried to keep the tears from falling.

Tony placed his hand on the side of your jaw and turned your head towards him. "Don't cry." He said, his voice sounding like he was in pain. Your tears were the only thing that could hurt him. He took sharp breaths, the pain spreading through his chest.

You looked into his eyes and you both just froze in your movements.

The door opened and you two instantly parted from each other. You saw Steve's figure step inside the room and he looked surprised to see Tony with you.

"Sorry, am I interrupting?" He asked. He saw you wiping your tears and forcing a smile on your face.

"No."You said. "Did you need something?"

"Fury wants to see us in ten minutes."He said. "I'll leave you two alone now."As soon as he said it, he hurried out of the room and closed the door.

Both of you remained in your place, no one even trying to move.

"I meant it." Tony said, looking up at you. You raised your head, looking at him in question. "I meant what I said. I'll wait for you... as long as I need to."

"And... "You said, licking over your dry lips. "And if I want to move on?"

Tony's heart stopped beating in his chest. He looked down to the floor, so you didn't see the tears that formed in his eyes. He never thought either of you would move on from each other and just... forget about what you two went through. He took a short look at the side of your face, before looking back to the floor. He wanted to speak, but it was like words were stuck in his throat.

"Tony?" You asked, making him snap out of his thoughts.

"I don't want to lie to you, sweetheart. I'd never be okay with that. But you deserve somebody who won't hurt you every time, like I did. You deserve to be happy. And I... I can't do anything about it. I'd accept it... eventually. I got tons of whiskey in the tower to help me. I just want you to know that I'll never have anyone other than you. I'll wait for you, even if that means waiting for a year, ten, twenty... I'll always wait for you."

You moved across the bed to get closer to him and place a kiss on his cheek. "You're a good man, Tony. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

You wiped the single tear that fell from his eyes with your thumb, making him look up at you.

"Would you?"

You looked at him in question.

"Would you move on?"

The way you hesitated to answer made Tony's chest ache even more.

"You hurt me, Tony." You said, placing your hands on either side of his face, making him look up at you. "I still didn't heal from it. But... I don't think I'd move on. I want you. I just need time."

Tony nodded, his lips curving into a small smile. "I'll wait. Take as long as you need. I'll always be here for you."

You smiled, your foreheads pressing together as you were carressing his face with your hands.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me." Tony whispered out.

You stayed like that for a few moments, until you realized Fury wanted to see you both.

You parted from Tony, making him frown. "Let's go."

He looked up at you, the frown still present on his face. It only disappeared when you got up and offered him your hand. He accepted it and immediately got up. Just as you went to part from him, he intertwined your fingers together with his.

He looked down at your joined hands, only now realizing what he did. Then, he looked up at your face. "I'm sorry, I-"

"Tony."

"I didn't even ask you if you're fine with this."

"I am." You nodded, which made him stop rambling.

"You are?" He asked as a grin appeared on his face.

"Yeah." You said, smiling back at him.

"Let's go then."