𝑋𝐿𝑉𝐼

Chapter 46: Breakup to makeup

December 7th
9:52 am

B̶E̶V̶E̶R̶L̶Y̶ H̶I̶L̶L̶S̶, C̶A̶L̶I̶F̶O̶R̶N̶I̶A̶

A̸M̸E̸R̸I̸E̸

I held my head against my folded arms atop the granite counterpart, blowing out a breath of frustration. The patter of Angel's feet running through the house in contrast to my momma's yelling made me raise my head back, allowing her to catch my eyes in hers.

"I'm two seconds away from letting your father shoot that damn dog, don't know why your little boyfriend bought you that little shit." She cursed, jumping at Angel whose tall was wagging thinking it was a game. "But, are you ready to tell me the real reason you've been over here for the last couple days? Because I would've expected you to be all up under your boyfriend and only him now that he's home." She raised an eyebrow, sliding the plate of food she was making across the island for me.

I tried to contain the eye roll at the mention of Syre, but I couldn't help it. Especially not with the way he'd been blowing my phone up until I chose to block his number. His actual phone, his trap phone, and every prepaid disposal number he called me from. That was never even the plan, but he didn't understand what the words of needing just a couple days meant.

"We got into an argument." I shrugged, keeping it as simple as possible. Her head tilted to show she wasn't going for such a simple response, but I didn't want our parents involved in all our drama.

We were grown, not teenagers in high school who still needed that parental assistance to navigate a relationship. Even though it was clear our relationship stood alone in comparison to past relationships we've both been in.

"Um okay...one little argument leads you here?" She folded her arms while I bit into the piece of French toast I cut.

"It wasn't just an argument." I mumbled, keeping my head down towards the plate. "There was more to it that I didn't know how to deal with in that moment, so I left."

The real reason was his energy during the argument, and the thoughts going through my head while he did what he did. It reminded me too fluently of what's happened in the past before, those very minor and premature feelings of Stockholm syndrome. Minor because he was far from abusive.

"Baby I understand this is your first relationship in so many years, and your first real one period if we're being honest. You and Syre are long past the cupcake stage, and maybe neither of you really understand that considering he left about 6 months in and comes back to nearly 3 years of y'all knowing each other. Y'all are too familiar now, and being able to just be smiling and happy 24/7 the last year and a half was rooted in you both simply missing each other and being away. Now that he's home, the real relationship starts to brew." Her words were honest, sympathetic, but wasn't anything I wanted to hear.