𝑃𝑅𝑂𝐿𝑂𝐺𝑈𝐸

December 2nd
Jacksonville, Florida

sor·row/ˈsärō,ˈsôrō/nouna feeling of deep distress caused by loss, disappointment, or other misfortune suffered by oneself or others

sor·row
/ˈsärō,ˈsôrō/
noun
a feeling of deep distress caused by loss, disappointment, or other misfortune suffered by oneself or others.

𝑆𝑂𝑅𝑅𝑂𝑊...it was the only thing that managed to come to mind as a way to explain the indescribable feelings that coursed through her chilled veins. The coldness resulting from both the rain that fell against the damp soil, but most importantly the eerie feeling that surrounded the area which consumed the dark space that fell around her. Fell around everybody.

"I want to say I'm sorry, but I know you're tired of hearing those words from everyone here." Quickly wiping at her tears that cascaded down her face like a river, she straightened her standing posture to look over to her right. Seeing her best friend, Zolai, standing next to her.

But she didn't say anything, not needing to because Zolai understood she wouldn't be able to place her thoughts into words. Not right now at least. So she didn't force her, except she extended her arms for her best friend to walk into where she broke down. Crying out the same bout of tears she felt she'd been doing for years now, although it'd only been 1 week.

"Let it out mama." She whispered, having to squeeze her eyes shut in the process to refrain from shedding her own tears. Her eyes scanned over everyone who stood behind the two just mourning in their own ways, the all black attire that filled the gravesite informing anyone passing that bodies were being laid to rest. Going home, leaving the one who believed her home was with them. Her parents.

"I can't be here any longer." She whispered, her voice cracking in the middle of her words as she pulled away from her head laying against her friends shoulder.

Running her eyes from the top of her best friend's forehead to the bottom of her chin, she scanned over every feature that filled her flushed face. She wished she could place herself in her best friends shoes, wanting to somehow rid the girl of the pain that filled her body, but she knew it was no use.

"I will never be able to tell you how to feel, or even imagine what it is lingering through your head right now mama. But think about the way they would want to see you right now, not moping and crying although it's inevitable, but just keep your head up. I would say I'll come with you, but I know you probably just want some time for yourself. So all I ask is that you be careful, please." Zolai spoke softly, her hands running down to grasp both of friends in a tight hold. Sniffling once more, she hesitantly nodded her head with her eyes towards the wet dirt. "I'm serious."

"I heard you the first time." She spoke above a whisper, just before pulling her hands out of the tight hold of her friend. Clearing her throat, she harshly wiped away at the river of tears that continued to mix in with the rain, before looking around at all of the faces who either stared at the double caskets lowered into the dirt, or held their own conversations.