CHAPTER 40

After hanging up with Lauren, Derek dialed Jen's cell. "Hey," he said when she picked up.

"Don't 'hey' me. I am at the freaking airport, buying a ticket. I'm coming to Boston."

"What???!!! Why?"

"It's been hours. It's your life, I know that, but I've been dying here, and you weren't returning my calls. I was worried."

"I've been busy," Derek said.

"Doing what? Landscaping the backyard? Wearing paths where you walked and paced? Still tying to muster the courage to talk to her?"

"No, smartass. Talking."

"Talking? Hmmm......Details, please."

"Talking to Meredith—for hours.......," he said smiling.

"Are you OK?" Jen had to ask.

"I will be," he said sighing.

"How about her? Is she OK?"

"She passed out when she saw me—thought I was a ghost. Her cousin and I took care of her."

"Cousin? What about the husband?"

"He left with her kids. Took them home."

"You're alone with her?"

"Yeah."

Jen checked her watch, "This late?"

"Yeah."

"Was it good?"

"What??"

"The sex. You said you wouldn't, but you did."

"We did NOT!"

"Really?"

"Really."

"Hmmmm.......so you're really just talking."

"I'm hanging up now, Jen. You've offended me."

"Sorry. I'm proud of you. Surprised, but proud. Really. So what now?"

"I'm......um......staying here--in her mom's room--and we'll talk more tomorrow."

"Staying there? All night? Alone in the house with the woman you've loved forever? Go home, Derek."

"Stop underestimating me. I can do this."

"You're setting yourself up."

"No. I love her. I won't make her cheat."

"I hope not."

Derek did his best to fake anger toward his dear friend, "This is so not the supportive friend conversation I was looking for. Are you sure you're a shrink?"

"Yes. A shrink who's worried out of her mind about you. It's clouded my judgment—sorry. Did you tell her everything?"

"Yeah. Everything except when I came back. She thinks she was already married. It'll be easier for her that way."

"You're being a good friend to her, Derek."

"I hope so. I.....I love her more than ever, Jen. It's......nothing has changed. I've just missed her so much."

"This has to be really hard for you. I'm proud of you, Derek. You seem to be doing the right things. Has she told you her story?"

"No. That's tomorrow."

"Oh. Well you've got a big day tomorrow. You'd better get some sleep."

"Yeah. Thanks, Jen."

"Oh," Jen said, "and Derek?"

"Yeah?"

"Return my messages next time or I'll come to Boston and kick your butt all the way back to Seattle, understand?"

"I get it," he said grinning. "Goodnight."

**********

Over in her bedroom, Meredith was wrapping up her own telephone call. "Hey," Steve asked, "did you ever see that old friend of yours? There was a guy on the patio who said he was an old friend of yours."

"Yeah."

"Did you two date or something? He was staring at you."

"Yeah."

"You did? Should I be worried?" he asked teasingly. Steve trusted Meredith implicitly.

"No. That was a long time ago."

"Are you sure? I left you there alone. I think I should have stayed longer."

"I'd never cheat on you, Steve."

"Well now, that's ominous. Now I really am worried."

"No need. I love you."

"You, too. You OK, Mer?"

"I will be."

"I miss you, baby. I don't sleep well without you. Hurry home."

"I will. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

************

Meredith settled into bed. She felt guilty for lying to Steve. Omitting the truth was a form of lying. I'll tell him when I get home. I'll tell him everything.

Meredith lay there amazed by the day's events, knowing that she'd never sleep.

*********

Derek was exhausted. He lay there staring at the ceiling. He missed her already. So little time with her, and he was hooked again already.

He wouldn't have expected sleep to come at all, but he drifted off rather quickly. He was at peace after spending time with Meredith.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the middle of the night, Meredith snuck to Derek's room. She turned the knob silently and peeked inside.........

As she saw Derek sleeping in her mother's bed, she placed her hand over her heart. He's here. It wasn't a dream. God, he's really here.

Unable to resist the temptation, she walked silently across the room and smiled down at him as he slept peacefully. As she gazed at him lovingly, she whispered, "I'll always love you."

"I love you, too, Mer" he mumbled in his sleep.

Meredith was staggered by the huge lump in her throat. She sniffled. And her small noise woke him up.

"Meredith? Are you OK? What's wrong?" he asked as he tried to wake up and assess the situation.

"Nothing. I'm sorry. I was just making sure you really were here."

"I won't leave. I'll still be here when you wake up," he said smiling tenderly at her.

"OK. Thanks," Meredith said before turning to leave. As she reached the door, she looked back at him, "Derek?"

"Yeah."

"Can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure. Anything."

"Well.....I.......um.......well......."

[NOTE: I really could have left it there........] 

Derek smiled at her. "I've always been able to translate Mer freakout," he said as he pulled back the covers on the other side of the bed. Patting the sheet, he smiled at her. "Climb in. Let me hold you. I'll behave.......I promise."

"Seriously?"

"Yep."

"You never have before.......behaved, I mean," she said grinning as she climbed into the bed beside him.

"You were never married before," he said softly, pulling her toward him so that he could hold her. Her heart broke a little more upon hearing his words. She knew there was no anger or accusation in his voice. He was just stating the obvious—the thing both of them truly wanted to ignore—so that they'd have to remember their limits.

"Derek, I......"

"Shhhh......tomorrow.......Just hold me, and I'll hold you. Two friends who've missed each other for too long."

"OK."

After saying goodnight and relishing the warm embrace they had missed for so long, the two relaxed into a peaceful night's sleep.......safe in each other's arms.