CHAPTER 57

Once inside, Meredith noticed Steve standing in the kitchen. He had busied himself reading something that was lying on the counter in hopes that Meredith wouldn't know that he had been watching her with Derek outside. "Oh, you're home.......," Meredith said as she walked over to hug her husband.

As Meredith pulled away, Steve wrapped his arm around her waist and looked down at her tenderly, "You OK?"

"Yeah," Meredith said, smiling as best she could.

"Hi," Derek said awkwardly from across the room. He was pained by the vision of Meredith in Steve's grasp. "I think we got everything worked out about Trent. I'm so grateful to get the chance to get to know him. I'll......I'll just go tell him goodbye."

Meredith stopped Derek with a glance, "Let me go get him for you," she said, leaving the two men in the kitchen. Derek and Steve exchanged a long stare. Both men sent clear messages about their affection for the people in that house without saying a word. Derek was the first to speak, "Thank you for taking such good care of him."

"I love him. He's family," Steve replied.

Each knew the other was also talking about Meredith.

Come on in out of the cold
Lay your cares on me
Cause when you're here there's nothing wrong
You're as far as I can see
Just another old love song comin' down

Trent came back downstairs and asked Derek to go see his room. Derek gladly escaped with him.

Steve hugged Meredith tightly and kissed her forehead. "Rough weekend, huh?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sure seeing Derek isn't easy."

"No. I'm glad he and Trent have hit it off, though."

"Good. I missed you."

"You, too."

"Why don't you take a long hot bath tonight. I'll handle the kids and bedtime."

"Thanks, Steve. I love you."

"You, too," he said as he leaned down and kissed her lips lightly.

And I've been trying to make you understand
That my love for you is real
And I can feel it when you take my hand
When I'm holding you near
Let me hold you near
Jut another old love song comin'down
Just another old love song comin' down

Upstairs, Trent was showing Derek his baseball trophies and awards from school. Derek told Trent that he had talked with Meredith and that he would be paying for a service to drive Trent to and from a baseball camp he'd really wanted to attend. Trent was thrilled with this news and hugged his father tightly.

"Well, you have to keep your grades up and listen to your mom and Steve," Derek warned him.

"I will! Thanks, Dad!" It was hard to tell whose smile was the biggest and happiest.

At just that moment a head popped into Trent's room. "Hi!" The first small head was immediately joined by another.

"Hi," Trent said, rolling his eyes, "These are the little monsters, Jenna and Ariella."

"This is Derek, my dad."

"Hi," Derek said, enjoying the view of the curious seven-year old girls.

Having been greeted properly, Jenna and Ariella burst into the room to make themselves part of things. Derek was amazed how much they both looked like their mother.

Ariella turned to Trent and asked, "So, you get a dad AND a stepdad?" Trent nodded and smiled.

Jenna had a determined look on her face that amused Derek to no end, "No fair! Mr. Derek, can you be our stepdad?"

"No, but I'd love to be your friend," Derek said smiling.

"OK. Wanna see our room?" Ariella asked. Jenna added, "It's Barbie Pink—the real thing!"

"In a minute," Derek said smiling. "Let me finish up here first."

True to his word, Derek made a brief stop in Barbie central to see the girls before walking back downstairs with Trent to say goodbye.

"I'd better go. I have a late flight back tonight," Derek said. He looked over at Meredith and Steve, "It was nice to see both of you."

"Time for a bath!" Steve said, chasing the girls upstairs. "Take care, Derek," he said over the cacophony of squealing girls.

Derek pulled Trent into a huge hug. "I'll miss you, Trent. This weekend has been so happy for me. I'm so proud to be your dad. I can't wait to see you again." The hug continued because neither father nor son wanted to let go.

Derek caught Meredith's eye as he said with emotion, "I'll miss you so much....." He pulled Trent even closer before forcing himself to let go. A little embarrassed for his son to see him teary yet again, Derek said, "Hey. Your dad's not a crybaby or anything. I'll stop this eventually. I'm just so happy to have found you........"

Trent smiled at him, "It's OK. I'm pretty excited, too."

"Call me, OK?" Derek said, his heart breaking that he had to leave the son he was just beginning to love so dearly.

"OK."

"Thanks for everything, Mer," Derek said. Surprising them both, he leaned over and kissed her cheek before leaving.

Meredith and Trent stood arm-in-arm and watched him leave. Meredith's cheek was still warm from the gentle kiss placed there.

"So, it was a good weekend, huh?" Meredith asked, leaning her head over atop her son's.

"The best ever. Thanks, Mom," he said squeezing his arm more tightly around her.

"I love you, baby," Meredith said as she and Trent watched Derek drive away.

So if you feel the sun is sinking down
Just call out my name
Cause I would make this whole world spin around
Just to see you again
Just another love song comin' down

Joe Purdy—Just Another Old Love Song