CHAPTER 90

"Speak for yourself," Derek said, grinning at her finding the humor in the situation. To his surprise, Meredith stopped dancing suddenly, and Derek had no choice but to stop as well. He grew concerned as he watched her wage some brief internal battle.

"It's high time I did," Meredith said as she reached up and brushed his cheek tenderly with her fingertips.

Taking a deep breath and looking into those eyes that still warmed her in her dreams, Meredith finally told him what had always been in her heart. "I love you so much that it hurts. I always have, Derek. I never stopped. You're it for me.........I'm so sorry.......I should have told you forever ago......"

Her eyes sent him an even stronger message than the words that were filling his heart with a hope he'd thought he'd finally lost. "I miss you.........I need you.........I........"

Not finishing her speech, Meredith reached up and pulled Derek's lips down to hers.

**********

The floor spun. Time stood still.

And the kiss that had started months before sprang back to life. But this time it meant more. It meant promises fulfilled and long waiting ended. It meant no more worrying and wondering and fearing the future. It meant loving and living and never wanting to be apart. It meant the last two decades hadn't been wasted after all. The time had been an investment in what now looked to be the happiest of all futures.

And I'm flying so high
High off the ground
When you're around
And I can feel your high
Touching me inside
And it's too much to hide

That kiss was precious and tender and beautiful. Then it turned hotter and grew deeper and wilder and became all-consuming. And then it was so much more than just the best kiss of a lifetime.

Sooner than one might have expected, but so much later than either of them would have wanted, their bodies started reacting in ways not experienced for far too long. Anyone wandering out onto the balcony would have suggested that the two lovers "get a room." But neither Meredith nor Derek would have heeded that warning or even noticed that it had been offered. They were both oblivious to everything but the sensation of each other's touch and the responses of each other's bodies and their undying love for one another. Nothing else mattered. Nothing else even existed.

Back to earth
Where did you take me to
I know there's no such thing
As painless love
Well it'll catch us up
And we can never win
But ohhh
I feel so alive
Ohhh
Just wanna hold you
Hold you so tight

Stumbling back into a corner against a wall, the now happy pair kissed and touched one another and held one another close for what seemed like hours. In fact, they actually had been out there for a very long time.

Breathing had become unnecessary—it wasn't worth parting long enough for either of them to catch a breath. At this point, Derek's hair was quite a mess, and Meredith's makeup was.........well it was the worse for wear. Derek's hands were wandering all over the back of her dress, pausing longest at spots where her skin was easily accessible. He suddenly remembered how her skin had always been magnetic and drawn him closer to her. She shivered with each touch and gasped into his eager mouth as his touches and affection worked to drive her as crazy as her body was making him.

And I'm flying so high
High off the ground
When you're around
And I can feel your high
Touching me inside
And it's too much to hide
And I'm flying so high
High off the ground
When you're around

One would have thought that nothing could distract the two reunited lovers from focusing attention on one another and making up for so very much lost time. Only there were a very few things that could make their way into the happy little bubble of their newly rejoined existence. One of those things was Trent.

In the midst of their joyful celebration, both Meredith and Derek heard Trent's voice over the PA system. Snapped back to reality by Trent's voice on the microphone, they wrenched their lips apart and looked at each other questioningly. Trent continued with his speech.

"We've decided to postpone cutting the cake again," he said as he raised a hand to hush those who moaned as they realized they had to wait before having their dessert.

"Wait," he continued, grinning wildly, "we have a good reason." The crowd fell silent and everyone turned to watch the groom as he spoke. "I just got the best gift a kid could get on his wedding day."

Meredith and Derek kept their eyes glued on one another, but they stood perfectly still as they listened to their son.

"My parents have been in love since they were in college—truly, madly, wildly in love. But despite a love stronger than any other I've witnessed, they've never been able to be together. Tonight they are finally making out on the balcony." There were cheers and toasts and applause from the crowd. "So, no cake yet—I don't want to interrupt them. Instead," he said as he motioned for Alli to join him up front. "Instead, I'd like to propose a toast." Trent paused as the wait staff delivered champagne to all of the guests and passed out sparkling cider for the kids. "I'd like to propose a toast," he began again, "To my beautiful bride. May our love be strong enough to overcome anything that comes our way, and may we still be making out like rabbits when our children get married."

The applause exploded as Trent leaned over to kiss his bride.

Meredith cringed and hid her face on Derek's lapel. He held her and smiled as he leaned his head down upon hers.

Sometimes I close my eyes
And imagine you're with me
Chasing passion into the night
All tangled in a dream.

Oh if you could see my heart
The way I feel inside
You would know just how far
I'm willing to go to get to you
There is nothing I won't do.

"Hey," he said as he smiled down toward her.

"What. Don't mind me. I'm dying. Or I'm gong to die," Meredith said, her blush turning her ears a bright shade of red and revealing how embarrassed she was.

"Look at me, or I'll take your words seriously and start CPR. That would really embarrass you," he said devilishly. "I know CPR. I'm an expert at mouth-to-mouth."

Show me what its like to lose control
Free the desire in your soul
Oh oh let me love you.

Let me take you to a place like no where else
Show you the things you never felt
Oh oh let me love you.

She looked up at him cautiously. His eyes were smiling. "I love you. I've been in love with you forever," he said as soon as her eyes met his.

"I love you, too," she whispered back with tears in her eyes, "so much more than you know."

Oh I want to taste your kiss
Be the reason for your smile
Touch the magic on your skin
Be the one that drives you wild.

Start of "Let Me Love You" by Tim McGraw