CHAPTER 61

The next day, Derek and Trent flew back to Chicago. Derek hailed a cab. "We could have had them pick us up, Dad," Trent offered.

"No, you're paying the transportation costs for this one. I'm not going to make this any cheaper just to save you from working this off for Steve."

"Oh......," Trent said quietly.

As they pulled up, Derek asked the driver to have this company send someone else for him around half an hour later. He and Trent got out of the cab. "Here's where you face the music, pal. Prove you're a man. Own up to your mistakes."

"Yeah," Trent said uneasily.

Derek put his arm around his son's shoulders and walked him to the front door. Then he rang the bell and gave his son a hug before it opened. A few minutes later, Steve opened the door. He didn't say a word, but he was glaring at both of them. Meredith rushed past Steve and hugged Trent tightly. Then she pulled back and started chastising him for making them worry. Squeezing Derek's hand and whispering a heartfelt word of thanks, she dragged Trent away to lecture him. After she left, Steve stood in the doorway. He did not invite Derek inside. Instead, he stood there glaring at him.

Derek stared back.

"So you're just gonna fly back, huh? You get the easy part," Steve said in frustration.

"What??!!" Derek asked, his temper flaring.

"You get to visit and spend quality time. You don't have to do the hard stuff."

"Look, I know you were worried about him. I know you are angry. You should be," Derek said, trying to keep his cool.

"You don't know how I feel. It's obvious he thinks you'll go easier on him, or he wouldn't have run to you," Steve growled.

"Look. I've told him that he's paying you and Meredith back for your ticket and for the cost of our trip today. He has to work for you to pay it back—doing whatever you want him to do. And he also has to deal with his punishment. I took his key away. And I'll cancel his baseball camp if that's what you and Meredith decide."

"So you're stepping up and trying to be his dad, huh?"

Derek took a step forward and clinched his fists, "I AM his dad, Steve. What is your problem?"

Steve said nothing but continued to glare at him.

"Look, I'm no threat to you. I'm grateful that you love them both and take care of them. I told him he has to listen to you and respect you."

"But you love my wife," Steve said, daring him to admit it.

"I loved her first," Derek said, letting his expression show how very real his feelings for her were.

"So you're admitting it?" Steve said, leaning forward and glaring harder at him.

"Why not? You knew that already. Just like you know I'll never stop loving her. Could you stop loving her?" Derek's voice was raised just enough to let Steve know angry he was.

"I know you're angry, but you also know damn well that none of this is easy for me. You have Meredith. And you get to raise my son. I'd move here to be closer to him, but I'm giving you space so that she'll be happy. I won't act on my feelings, but I do love her. I always will. She was it for me. But that's when fate stepped in and dealt you a better hand. I just have to be grateful that she's happy and that I found my son. But I won't stand here and listen to you tell me how I have it easy. None of this is easy."

They continued to stand there staring at each other. Meredith walked up before either of them said anything else. Steve turned and left them at the front door.

"Thanks, Derek," Meredith said gratefully. "Um.....is everything OK? Steve looked upset. He's been so worried and he felt guilty that the fight led to Trent running away."

"He's just protecting his turf. We're OK."

"Good," Meredith said smiling at him, "Thanks, again, Derek."

"Hey," Derek said, tilting his head a bit and looking at her lovingly, "I got to spend time with him and to see you. It's a win-win. Take care of our boy for me," he said as he leaned in and kissed her cheek before turning to meet the taxi that had returned for him. Any guilt he typically would have felt for showing her affection was nowhere to be found. He figured he owed Steve at least that much for his crappy little outburst.