CHAPTER 65

After checking in on a still sleeping Meredith, Derek made his way to the ICU to check on Steve. He reviewed the chart and gave him a cursory exam.

"Derek?" Steve said, very groggy.

"Hi," Derek said, continuing his work.

"What happened? Why are you here? Is Mer OK? Oh, God.........the accident..........she doesn't have a head injury, does she?"

"She's fine. Banged up with a concussion, but she'll be fine." Derek continued to check Steve.

"Oh, thank God," Steve said, exhaling loudly as he relaxed a bit. "So do I have a head injury or some other neurological problem?" Steve asked as he tried to move his limbs. "Is that why you're here?"

"I came because Trent was worried about both of you. Your doctors will be here soon to talk to you. They seem to be doing the right things. You've had several surgeries. You'll need a few more when you're stronger. But I think you'll be fine."

"Oh. Good. Thanks," Steve said.

"I'd recommend that they do another MRI to check one spot on your left shoulder. Might not be nerve damage, but if there is something else, they could fix it if they caught it early enough."

"OK. Have you told Roger about my shoulder?"

"Um......No. He should hear that from you."

"Why?"

"He's not very happy that I'm here. I'm sure he's just being a loyal friend, but he and I didn't exactly hit it off. No hard feelings, but why don't you tell him? He'll listen to you."

"OK. Sorry. You know, I haven't said anything bad about you to him. But I can imagine what he might have said. He went through a nasty divorce, so he has issues about the "other parties" in shared custody and visitation and things."

"No apologies needed."

"Mer's really OK?"

"Yeah. Just worried about you. I'll go get her. They'll probably send her home tonight."

"Thanks, Derek. You've always been straight with me and good to my family. I appreciate that."

Derek smiled at him. "Hey, are you up for more company? I thought I'd ask Trent to bring the girls by for a quick visit with you. Thought that might be a good thing."

"I don't know. Won't all of this scare them?" he asked, motioning to all of the equipment monitoring him.

"I don't think so. They've been in this hospital enough to know what to expect. And they're worried since they haven't seen you. They'll feel better if they can lay eyes on you while you're conscious and talking. It's as much for their sakes as yours."

"So have you told anyone you're planning to bring them up here?"

"No. What are they gonna do if I bend the rules, fire me?" Derek said as he turned to leave. Before he got to the doorway, he turned back.

"Good luck with your recovery, Steve. I know it won't be easy, but I hope you're up and moving around really soon."

"Thanks, Derek. And thanks for coming out."

"Sure," Derek said as he turned to leave once more.

"Meredith's really OK. You're not hiding anything from me."

"No. She just needs to see you. She'll probably overanalyze your chart and drive the staff crazy with questions about your care. You need to make sure she doesn't try to operate on your shoulder with her arm in a cast." They both laughed knowing that Mer would fall into overprotective mode as soon as she got there.

"If you need work done to repair the nerves in that shoulder," Derek said, I have a friend across town who could help. I can call her." As Derek left the room, Dr. Decker walked in. "Dr. Decker," Derek said in an overly deferential manner. "Dr. Shepherd," Decker said with a sneer.

"Steve, you look great! Glad he's gone. I tried to........"

"Roger, it's OK. He's just trying to help."

"He's an a**."

"Aren't we all?" Steve said, letting his friend know to let it rest. As they shared a laugh, he realized that laughing was painful. "Hey, about my shoulder......."

************

Derek entered Meredith's room with a flourish. "You look lovely today. Your chariot awaits," he said a she pulled a wheelchair into the room.

"How gallant," Meredith said, playing along with his antics.

"I thought so," Derek said as he winked at her. "Steve's awake. I'll take you there."

"Thanks," Meredith said, amazed yet again by the incredible man before her.

Derek worked carefully to detach her IV from its stand and reattach it to the bar above the wheelchair. He helped her get out of bed and stand up, and in so doing, they were both momentarily paralyzed by the proximity of their bodies to one another. Derek inhaled deeply, relishing her scent and the warmth of her body. "I'm so glad you're OK. I was so worried," he whispered as he held her just a moment.

He helped her into the chair and covered her gently with a blanket. Then he rolled her to Steve's room. "Thanks so much for all of this, Derek." He leaned down and rubbed her cheek tenderly. "Wait here. Don't go running away, Missy," he said as he entered the room.

"Steve? Ready for company?"

"Sure," Steve said smiling. Derek couldn't resist sending an icy glare toward Dr. Decker before bolting back outside and rolling Meredith into the room.

The spouses were immediately lost in concern and conversation. Derek grabbed Roger's elbow and pulled him out into the hallway.

"Hey," Decker began, "I'm.......um........sorry........"

"Let's not do that, shall we? You're an a** and you think I'm an a**. I'm OK with that. I think we've spent enough time together," Derek said before walking away.

Smiling at the look on the surgeon's face, Derek dialed Trent's number. After calling him, he grabbed lunch and returned Jen's call