CHAPTER 108

Not too early the next morning, the newly engaged lovers woke to gentle knocking. "Breakfast, you two," Trent chirped, knowing they'd been up late and that they would rather sleep in. To his surprise, they wasted little time coming downstairs for breakfast. The happy couple had woken up happy and ready to bask in their official commitment to one another.

Everyone was thrilled with the announcement of their engagement. They broke out more champagne for mimosas to celebrate. It was hard to decide which one of them—Meredith or Derek--was smiling most brightly. Both dodged the natural questions about what this all meant. "We need to talk," was their response. The kids all exchanged glances but didn't press the matter.

*************

That afternoon, Trent and Alli went to visit her parents, and the girls went to hang out at Colleen's house. Once they were finally alone, he pulled her into his lap as they sat on the sofa just relaxing. "So....ready for your other present?"

"Der...."

He kissed her to stop her protest. Handing her the gift, he said, "Open it."

Meredith rolled her eyes a bit in protest but did as she was told. Her mouth fell open when she realized what it was.

"We can start over--if you hate it. But I tried to think of things the girls would like."

"They're beautiful. It's just...."

"Meredith," he said, eager to tell her everything, "I turned in my resignation a month ago—right after Thanksgiving. I can move here next week. We'll find a nice suburb or use this lot to build our dream house. We can overhaul the plans if you want. Or we can just live here or anywhere else you want. I just can't wait to get here and be with you forever."

Her reaction was not at all what he expected. Meredith laughed—hysterically.

"What's so funny? I spoke with your chief. He said I could come to your hospital. I know you have tenure. I don't mind you being the boss of me...."

Meredith laughed even harder. She was crying from the intense laughter that was racking her tiny frame.

"What? Meredith, tell me what's so funny," he said, starting to become alarmed.

She finally calmed down. "But I quit my job a month ago,"

"What?"

Meredith told Derek about finding the DVD in his apartment.

[Flashback]

Derek sat in a sport coat and tie and dark slacks in a local television studio. The reporter had been friendly, and he was fairly relaxed and well prepared for the interview. In response to her questions, he raved about how neurosurgery at Seattle Grace Hospital was growing. That they had the best facilities and staff on the West coast.

"That's from your effort," the reporter suggested.

"No. It's a department effort," he insisted, "We have a crack team. Everyone works hard."

"But you're the head of neurosurgery," she reporter interjected.

"Yes, but that's new. I can't claim the credit. It's a tight knit group. It takes that to be as successful as we've been."

"You're modest," she added.

"No, honest," he replied.

"Well, I've heard rumors that you're also being groomed to be chief of surgery," the reported said confidently.

"Richard Webber is a wonderful chief. He's a great teacher, my mentor. It's an honor to work with him. I hope he doesn't retire for 20 more years."

"So you'd wait 20 years?"

"Gladly."

"Mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"I don't promise to answer, but go ahead," Derek said honestly.

"We hear that they call you Dr. McDreamy. You're certainly handsome, smart, successful, and modest. The whole package."

Derek blushed a bit and wondered where the question was in all that. "Thank you."

"So are you the hospital Casanova?"