CHAPTER 106

Hours later, Derek woke up and pulled Meredith back into his arms. They had fallen asleep after making love, and neither of them had any idea how late it was. Derek noticed the clock, and they rushed to get ready quickly. Well, there was a bit of a longish pause in the shower for some deep breathing.....ahem....deep cleaning...., but they managed to dress and drive across town in time to make it for their dinner reservation. Trent rolled his eyes at their near tardiness, but Alli elbowed him and he stopped making a big deal about it. When Meredith had called earlier in the week, Jen had been all too happy to change their reservations for three into a reservation for six.

They had a glorious meal to start what turned out to be a fabulous weekend. The next day, they sailed around on the private boat Derek had rented for them to enjoy. It was the warmest way to take in the beautiful sights, although the Chicago crowd wasn't convinced that it ever got REALLY cold in Seattle. They had a delicious catered meal while they sailed and spent time deciding what they would do the rest of the trip. That night, they played cards and board games in the girls' room until the wee hours of the morning. The next day, they took ferry rides, went to the Space Needle, and rode the monorail. At the Experience Music exhibit at the Seattle Center, Jenna and Ariella got a chance to show off their musical talent. Everybody had a perfect time.

That last night, Meredith turned to Derek and eyed him seriously, "We should talk about what we are going to do, Derek."

"I'm tired. Someone's been wearing me out every night," he said, closing his eyes, but pulling her close. Seeing her frown, he kissed her lightly. "We have time. We'll talk at Christmas."

"OK," Meredith said, looking at him as if she were trying to figure something out. "Promise me," she whispered.

"Anything," he said, cupping her cheek in his hand and gazing at her adoringly. "Promise me we'll decide something soon."

"OK."

"I hate being so far away from you," Meredith added, knowing he felt the same way.

"Me, too," he said, closing his eyes to stem the tears that rose when he thought of her leaving the following day. "I want to do this every day," he said, holding her in his arms. "It's all I want......all I need. I'm so lucky."

"We're so lucky," she added quickly. They fell asleep in each other's warm embrace and slept happily though the night.

The next day when they unloaded their bags at the airport, Meredith stopped Derek from following them inside. With her bravest smile, she looked at him and made his world stop spinning. "Go home. No airport sex for you today, darling."

"Awww.....," he whined pulling her close and sniffing her hair and smiling.

"This was wonderful," she whispered.

"Mmmmhmmmm," he said, unable to find any words.

"See you at Christmas, sweetheart," she said, kissing him deeply.

"I can't wait," he said as her lips left his.

"Me, either," she said sadly. But then she grinned and whispered, "You'll have lots of presents to unwrap."

"Mmmm.....You will, too," he said grinning before he crushed his lips upon hers.

Several minutes later, Trent intervened, "OK, kids. Break it up. I swear, are you taking pills, Dad? Cause......"

Derek shot him a glare and then kissed Meredith more chastely. He looked at her as he spoke to his son. "I love your mom madly. No meds will ever be needed."

They all exchanged hugs and agreement that the holiday weekend had been perfect for everyone. Derek stood there and watched his family walk into the airport, biting back tears so that they wouldn't blur his image of them. As they moved out of sight, Meredith turned and blew him a kiss. He knew he wouldn't breathe deeply again until he held her in his arms.