CHAPTER 88

I hate when I'm nervous about posting my own updates--what's up with that?

Jen walked across the room to get some champagne punch and to keep an eye on her date. She was almost as nervous as he was. This was huge. It would either be the thing he most wanted or it might be the thing that finally broke him. It was hard just to sit and watch. As she braced against a wall to watch, she had to smile as she noticed how truly nervous he looked. She was so proud of him for doing this.

This time, This place
Misused, Mistakes
Too long, Too late
Who was I to make you wait
Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
you know, you know

Glancing around the room, Jen found that she wasn't the only person watching. Trent was staring at his father with a frantic but enthusiastic expression on his face. Allison had a similar expression on her face as well. She was whispering to Kim about it, so now she was looking on eagerly, too. Carson had raised her eyebrows so high when she saw what Derek was doing that she looked really comical. Lauren had her hand over her mouth. Kelly was the only one who noticed what was happening who had a smile on her face. Not wanting to miss a minute of the chaos she helped create, Jen turned her gaze back to the event that was about to unfold.

That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

On my knees, I'll ask
Last chance for one last dance
'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know,
you know, you know

As he arrived in front of Meredith and Jim, Derek tapped Jim on the shoulder. He looked straight into Meredith's eyes as Jim turned to face him. "May I have this dance?" Derek asked as confidently as possible under the circumstances.

Jim looked at Meredith. "It's OK," she whispered to him.

"You sure?" he asked, putting his arm around her waist protectively and raising an eyebrow at Derek. He squinted at him as if to suggest that he leave.

Diving in with reckless abandon, Derek responded, "She's sure," and took Meredith into his arms. Miraculously, he found himself able to lead her onto the dance floor.

Neither of them could breathe.

That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

They had fallen so comfortably into each other's arms and begun dancing silently. Words really hadn't been necessary. Besides, they were both too nervous to say anything at first, anyway.

So far away
Been far away for far too long
So far away
Been far away for far too long
But you know, you know, you know

Derek finally attempted to talk to the woman who made his heart race like no other. "You.......are breathtaking," he whispered to her with an adoring smile.

"And you........are still too charming," Meredith said with a tear-filled smile of her own. She started to say something but couldn't. Derek smiled down at her lovingly and pulled her even closer. They continued to sway to the music to listen to the lyrics that were speaking volumes for them and saying all the things they needed to tell each other.

I wanted
I wanted you to stay
'Cause I needed
I need to hear you say
That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I forgive you
For being away for far too long
So keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving
Hold on to me and
never let me go

As Derek and Meredith continued to dance and cling to each other as well as the things they each wanted to say, Derek noticed how Trent and Allison were dancing and gazing lovingly at one another. "They look happy," Derek said, nodding in the newlyweds' direction.

"They are," Meredith said smiling.

"You did good," he said, melting her heart with the expression on his face.

"We did good," she said, smiling back at him.

They danced again in silence until the song finally ended. As the music stopped and everyone turned to applaud the band, Derek was suddenly rocked by a wave of terror that paralyzed him. Seeing Trent and Alli back where he and Meredith should have been so long ago was a painful reminder of the way that fate constantly kept them apart. The pain and longing of nearly 20 years crippled him and made him want to run from the room. Losing her this time would be it. He'd finally be broken.

Realizing that the spell was also broken and that he should let Meredith return to her date, he looked at her wistfully and thanked her for the dance. Then he turned to make his way back to Jen, leaving pieces of his crumbling heart in his wake. :tears: