CHAPTER 70

Short and sad but necessary given the circumstances. Yeah. This whole fic is sad. Well, Derek finding Trent was happy, right? And the Mer/Der college flashbacks! Don't forget those! This is sad and dark and miserable, but I only have one thing to say in my defense. I am NOT Shonda!

His resolve and restraint crumbling, Derek couldn't just walk out and leave. So he walked around the bed and climbed atop it, holding her supportively. She leaned against him and cried for hours.

And I, yes I, miss you
And it's killing inside
Ooh well I, yes I, miss you
Want you by my side
Ooh well I, miss you
Want you by my side
Back here by my side
Here by my side

Meredith was jolted out of her misery by the drip of tears that she felt—tears that were not her own. She pulled back and looked at Derek. He was crying......for her loss........He couldn't be sad for her loss. That was superhuman......not possible. She couldn't take anymore.

"No......No.........You can't........Not that.........You can't grieve this. Not for me. It's too much........I.......can't.......I......"

"Mer. You know that I really am sorry for you and for Jenna and Ariella and Trent," he said, moving his hand from her arm only to wipe his tears away.

"No. Stop. You can't be part of this. I can't do this knowing that you're here as my friend grieving with me. It's incredible of you to do, but you have to go."

"Mer, you need a friend."

"It can't be you. It's always been you, Derek, but you can't help me do this."

"But I'm worried about you."

"Don't be. I'll be fine."

"Mer, I wasn't........I.......I'm really just here as your friend."

"That's just it. It would be easier to handle if you were selfish. If you had an agenda. This? This is too much. I don't deserve such unselfishness from you, and you can't help me grieve the loss of the man I married when I gave up on you.....on us........It.......it.......I can't ignore you. And I have to ignore you right now, Derek."

"Mer......."

"Just go."

"Meredith....."

"Please, Derek. If you ever loved me, please just go."

Derek's face fell when he heard those words. He sighed deeply as he looked up at her, his eyes reflecting the pain he saw in hers, "I guess that leaves me no choice. I'll go," he said sadly.