Chapter 59

After giving his order, Phil sat down in the booth at the back of the restaurant watching the new waitress walk around taking orders.

  She smiled at him completely oblivious of his intentions towards her. Dirk had given specific orders for him to covertly follow her movement.

  Phil pulled his phone from his pocket to check the time. He still had two hours to kill before her shift ended. When his order arrived, he gave her a meek smile to put her at ease.

"This looks delicious. My compliments to the chef."

"Is this your first time here?" She asked smiling at him.

  Phil had been stalking her for two weeks now, getting to know her daily routine.

"Yes. I'm here on vacation."

"Well thank you for visiting us. Enjoy your dinner." With another smile at him, she left to tend to other diners.

  The smile fell from Phil's lips before he started to eat his dinner.

  The food felt like sand on his palate, the favor bland. During the rest of his dinner, Phil kept his attention on the waitress but avoided making any more pleasant conversation.

  After dinner, Phil left the restaurant and headed to his car but he didn't start the engine. He lit a cigarette then leaned back against the seat to wait. It was after midnight when he spotted the waitress exiting the restaurant with two of her co-workers. Phil watched as the trio walked to the parking lot unaware of danger.

  Phil bide his time, waiting for the waitress to drive out the parking lot before tailing her vehicle. For thirty minutes he trailed her car, anticipation running over him. When she pulled into the driveway, he parked his car two houses down, he waited for her to exit the vehicle and enter the house.

  Phil already knew that she lived alone, so it would be easy to overpower her. When the lights came on inside the house Phil exited his car and walked up the driveway but instead of walking to the front door he went around to the back of her house. He donned a pair of gloves then pulled the crowbar from his bag pried the door open without making a sound.

  He entered the house, closing the door softly behind him. He maneuvered his way through the kitchen into the living-room and up the stairs. The shower was running when he entered the bedroom. He went into the closet, leaving the door slightly ajar.

  The door to the bathroom opened and the woman stepped out in the room. He watched her get dressed and slipped under the covers. Phil stayed  in the closet until he was sure she was asleep before leaving the closet. He traced his fingers along the edge of the bed, eyes glued to the figure sleeping.

  He pulled the cloth from his pocket and pressed it hard to her face. She woke up instantly, her arms and legs flailing as she tried to escape but his hands remained steady until her body went limp.

  Pushing the covers to the floor, he tied her hands and feet then lifted her body up and over his shoulder. He carried her from the house to his car, placing her body in the trunk. This neighborhood was already quiet and the street empty so it was easy to get in and out without anyone seeing him.

  Phil got into the driver's side, rev the engine and drove off. Soon he was his way to meet Dirk with his prize. He drove until the scenery switched from prominent residential areas, darkened alleyways to a dilapidated neighborhood.

  The building came into view  loomed ahead, surrounded by a rusty fence.

  Because no one visited this area, it was a great place to do their business without being caught. He pulled around to the back and parked the vehicle. He exited the car and walked around to the trunk. The door creaked heavily on its hinges when he pushed the door inward.

"What took you so long?" Dirk asked him as he entered the room. He placed the unconscious woman on the table.

"I had to wait until she was alone."

  Phil stepped backwards with both hands behind his back silently staring at Dirk. Dirk grinned with elation as he stared at the body on the table.

  He glanced back at Phil. "You can leave now." He said waving his hand toward the door dismissing him from the room.

  Phil left the room without a backward glance. He walked to Dirk's office and slipped inside. Whirring noises from the fan filled the room but none of that bothered him as he moved to the desk. He pulled out the drawer and grabbed the black USB drive along with Dirk's gun.

  Dirk had set up surveillance cameras around this building except this room. It worked perfectly to his advantage. Phil put everything in a small duffel bag before walking to the door. He had fifteen minutes to leave this place before Dirk realized he had switched the bodies. He quickly got into his vehicle and drove away from the building.