Chapter 80

"How the hell did you lose him?" Dirk yelled angrily over the phone. "Who was driving the vehicle?"

"He wasn't alone. He was in the vehicle with that blonde guy ."

"What blonde guy?"

"The one he's always hanging out with."

"The same student you had checked out last time? The same one that you claimed was just an ordinary college student?" Dirk asked staring out the window.

"I'm starting to doubt he's just an ordinary student. The way he outsmarted my guys, was too professional."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, we need to bribe someone to find out who this guy really is."

"What about your contact? Nothing as yet?"

"He hasn't gotten back to me."

Dirk was getting frustrated. He had perfectly planned everything down to the last detail. But so far, nothing was going according to his plans. It looked like he would be changing his plans again.

"Put pressure on your contact. When you get your result, let me know."

"I will."

Dirk hung up the phone but still stared outside. But he wasn't looking at the view. No, he was thinking about his next move. He was a person that always got whatever he wanted. No cops or one college student could keep him from getting Logan. He browsed through his until he found the number he wanted to call.

When he heard the low voice on the other end, he smiled. A smile full of malicious intent.

"I need your help with something."

"What?"

Still not a talkative person.

Dirk pulled the photo from his pocket and pointed at the face with the red circle.

"Let's meet up?"

"Where?"

"Trappas Bar. One hour."

One hour later, Dirk entered Trappas Bar. No one would care about his identity here. The owner of this Bar kept his mouth shut once the price is right. He strode towards the bar and ordered a drink before heading to the back, where there were rooms for privacy. He bypassed the closed doors to the door marked with a downward arrow.

Without knocking, he opened the door. The person he was meeting was sitting at the table, arms folded across his chest.

"You're late."

Dirk glanced at his watch. "By three seconds." He stepped into the room and closed the door.

"Why did you asked to meet?"

He pulled out the photo and placed it down, using one finger to slid it across the table.

"Look at it."

The figure took up the photo and eyed it silently for a minute. "Where did you get this?"

"From a friend. Does he look familiar?"

"Why are you asking me that question?"

"I need him out the picture so I can get my prize. He's a college student but an obstacle."

Dirk watched the figure stared down at photo, fingers tracing along the edge. He folded the photo and put it into pocket.

"I'll call you in a day."

"Good." Dirk kept his face neutral but inside he was feeling this euphoria. It was the same feeling he had when he first saw Logan in his class. He emptied the glass in one shot then stood up.

"You should try to keep a lower profile. Not everyone is going to be happy seeing your face."

Dirk left the room without replying because he knew the guy was right. It wasn't really wise but no one was going to rat him out without cause. If he get caught on this turf no one was going to bat an eye to help him.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I have to keep a low profile until this thing blows wide open. I can't afford to be seen by Dirk or any of his goons."

"He sent guys to the college."

"Dirk finally got impatient."

"Your brother is very smart."

"Of course he is. He was the top student in the academy."

"Dirk has been investigating him. He's trying to find out his identity. So far, no luck."

"It's futile trying to unseal any of his records. Our parents have deep ties in the police. And everyone of them is very protective of him."

"My contact told me Dirk visited Trappas Bar."

"Did your contact find out who he went to see?"

"No. Dirk was leaving just as he arrived at the bar."

"Did he see which location he drove out?"

"No. He was in a hurry."

"Ask your contact to find out what Dirk was doing at the bar. I don't like that he met anyone there."

"Do any of those guys have any connections to the criminals that were arrested years ago?"

"We don't know. Three of them were able to escape before the police raided the place."

"Do you think they were tipped off?"

"Maybe. Marvin was the head of that company but he didn't know we were investigating him and his company."

"Have you ever checked on him? Just to make sure he's still rotting away in his cell?"

"I've been busy."

"Have you talked to Harold?"

"I did."

Somewhere in the dim light room, Phil heard footsteps outside his room before a shadow passed by the window. He grabbed his gun as he slowly got up from the chair he was sitting on.

"I'm going to call you back. If you don't hear from me in five minutes, you know what to do."

"Shit!" The voice hissed over the phone. "Okay. Don't get yourself killed."

"I won't," Phil ended the call and pocketed his phone. He held his gun tightly in his hand, aiming it at the door. The footsteps halted at the door but there was no noise for a second.

Phil tiptoed towards the door, careful not to make any noise to alert whoever was out there. He gripped the door handle lightly, took a deep breath and peeked out the peephole.

He released that breath when he saw Kaia at the door. He put the hand holding the gun behind his back then opened the door.

"What are you doing here?"

Kaia pushed passed him into the room with a frustrated growl. "You guys are going to start paying me extra. It's tiring going back and forth."

Phil stifled the smile from his face as he stared at her. "That doesn't answer the question."