Chapter 152

"When are you leaving?"

"Tonight."

"What are you going to do?"

Justin stared down at the letter before standing up from his desk.

"I'm not going to pretend that I'm a good guy. But I can't let Stephen get his hands on Aaron."

"I'm going with you."

"Why?"

"Someone has to look out for you."

"I can take care of myself."

"Doesn't matter. I'm coming with you."

"The police will be looking for me."

"We'll try to get this done as quick as possible."

"Aren't you worried I might try to kidnap Aaron again?"

"I won't let you harm him. I've already told you that."

Justin stared at him. "Tell me the truth. Why are you protecting him?"

"Aaron didn't deserve any of the shit you put him through. Now your twin brother has resurfaced from the rock he's been hiding under to settle a score with him. Are you still going to be the bad guy?"

He wasn't a good guy. But he could help deal with Stephen.

"Fine..." Justin put the letter in his bag then stood up from the desk.

"I'll be outside waiting for you. Don't even think you can leave this place without me."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harold stared out the window at the building across the street then glanced down at the paper.

Gavin Joseph was the manager at Mega Store Branch.

"What does he do here?" Tim asked.

"He's the manager."

"How do you want to do this?"

"Try to get a confession from him."

"What if he doesn't confess?"

"We have evidence. Let's try to see him worm his way out of it."

They piled out the vehicle and made their way across the street to the tall white building.

Inside the atmosphere was quaint, the opposite of the exterior. Their footsteps echoed on the tiled floor as they walked to the reception desk.

Tim stayed a few inches from the desk while he went to speak to the receptionist.

"How many I help you?"

Harold pulled out his badge. "I'd like to speak to your manager."

"One moment please." She picked up the phone.

Harold looked at Tim and tilted his head towards the elevator.

"Sir, he's waiting for you. Take the elevator to the sixth floor."

"Thank you."

Harold glanced around the lobby as he walked to the elevator. From the corner of his eyes he spotted a guy dressed in a plain clothes glancing in their direction.

"Keep on your guard."

Tim gave a single nod as he tapped a finger on his arm. The elevator doors opened and they stepped inside.

"Gavin's family owns a chain store in five locations. He started working here right out of the academy."

"I guess he changed his mind from becoming a cop."

"It's a good thing. One less corrupt officer in the world."

There was a ding before the doors opened on the sixth floor. The secretary smiled as they neared her desk.

"Good morning. How many I help you?"

"We're here to see your boss. The receptionist downstairs already spoke to him."

"Will you follow me please." She got up from her seat and led them to a door. She knocked on the door before announcing their arrival.

"You can let them in."

She opened the door and gestured politely for them to enter the room.

Gavin was standing at the window with his back to the door. He turned around to look at them with a smile on his face. Harold could see right through that fake smile.

"How can I help you gentlemen?"

"We just want to ask you a few questions."

"Can I ask what this is about?"

Harold stepped forward while Tim remained by the door just in case he tries anything.

"It's about an old case." Harold watched him closely. "It involves one of your friends from the academy."

Gavin shook his head. "I don't think I'd be able to help you."

"Why don't you have a seat." Harold pointed to the chair.

"Look...I'm very busy right now."

"I wasn't asking you."

Gavin glanced at Tim before taking a seat. "What do you want from me?"

"Do you know Aaron Poole?"

Gavin's eyes widened slightly before he blanked his features but it was too late.

"Yeah, I know him. We went to the same academy." Gavin's gaze went to Tim then back to him. "Why are you asking me about Aaron? I haven't seen him since we graduated."

"Do you know Brett Saxe?" Again Harold kept his eyes on him.

"Yeah, I was in class with him."

"When was the last you spoke with him?"

"During the academy. We lost contact after graduating."

Harold leaned forward, "What would happen if I ask the Chief of Police to tell me what happened at the academy?"

"I don't know what you're talking..."

Harold stood and walked over to the window. "The statutory limitations hasn't been reached. Don't think you can get away. Think twice before lying to us.

"I...I... nothing happened."

"How about I tell you what happened?" Two years ago you and your friends drugged and raped Aaron Poole."

Gavin opened his mouth but Harold held up a hand to stop him from talking.

"We know everything. We also know that Brett was the mastermind."

Gavin seemed to deflate into himself as he leaned back against the chair with a sigh. He turned his head to the right, his gaze on the window.

"The first time Brett saw Aaron, he wanted to have him. Aaron was always with Kyle and wouldn't give him the time of day. So, one day Brett came up with this plan to drug Aaron."

"Why did you get involved?"

The smile left Gavin's face as he looked at him.

"Aaron was very popular with both males and females students at the academy." A small laugh escaped his mouth. "I was offered a perfect opportunity to get what I wanted. I couldn't pass that up."