Chapter 51/Us?

Jefe emerged like a God. The short man from before still followed behind.

"This punching bag should be him." I muttered under my breath. 

"You shouldn't say that aloud." Rock whispered and unwrapped his hands. "You can think that all you want. But you don't say it." He dumped the wrap in a plastic container with the others. He did not look at me for even a second. His eyes were glued on José.

José walked up to the desk where Lumberjack sat. He spoke to him, but I couldn't hear a word they were saying. I took two steps towards Jefe's direction but was stopped before anyone would even notice. Rock's long arm extended out in front of me blocking my path. 

"Scarlett." He stared at me seriously but his eyes were painted a green brown. One shade I have yet to see. "That is the worst possible idea ever. And you know that." He is right. The worst thing I could do. I should keep on playing dumb like I did in the hall earlier. It is safer for me this way. I turned away with stiffness.  "Just hold this for me." I spat at him and held my hands up waiting. 

"Sorry baby girl. I gotta go." He walked past me. I watched him leave. He was going off with José. I swallowed thickly. "Hola Jefe, como estas." Rock spoke to him as he crossed the gym. 

"Qué pasa con esa chica?" José spoke as all three of them glanced back at me. 

"No sé." Rock shrugged and all three of them walked out together. 

Fuck Spanish. 

How could I forget his priority is Black Velvet? How could I think that Black Velvet and Jefe are so unimportant to Rock? I guess I never thought about what it would be like to see Rock with them. With his boss. Never imagined what it would be like, look like, or even how he would act. He doesn't seem that different, but one encounter can't confirm a dismissal of Rock being a different person when he is with them. Obviously including José Luña. 

***

 Securing the strap of my robe, I made my way down the stairs and to the door. Flora told me she was going to come over early so we wouldn't have to rush. 

"Hey!" She squealed. Flora had her hair wrapped in a towel, a pink sweat suit on, and about three makeup bags overtaking her hands and arms. 

"Is that all necessary?" I asked as I let her in and shut the door. 

"Of course!" She exclaimed looking at me as if I had just sinned. 

"This way." I took a few things from her hands to prevent them from toppling over. 

I led her up to my room and let her use the vanity while I used a portable stand-up mirror on my bed. Before we could even start on anything my phone buzzed. I pulled it off my nightstand and Flora turned around watching me. 

3:29 P.M.

Frostee- See you at 7 Red 

"Who's that?" Flora asked as she applied a lip balm. 

Me- See you then Blue 

"Just...Thomas telling me when he's coming." I threw my phone back on its charger. Flora doesn't know much about our relationship. I think all she knows is that we started talking and he asked me to the ball. That is pretty much all there is to it anyway. 

"OMG, I have to see the dress again." She pleaded and I obliged. 

"Here." I unzipped the protective bag it was in.