Chapter 33/No Idea

We made it to Rock's house and his car was the only one indicating that we were going to be home alone. I removed my shoes once we exited the garage and Rock looked at me strangely.

"What?" I stopped as I finished unlacing the second one. "Yves asked me to take them off on Saturday."

"Nothing, just hurry up before I change my mind." I made a face and slipped the second one off then placed them neatly next to the door.

I followed Rock up the stairs and into his room. It looked and smelled the same as last time—pine with a hint of citrus. I forgot the comforting feeling his room gave off and I immediately relaxed.

"You like my room."

"What? No." How can he tell? "Well yeah." I admitted. "It's just a lot like mine."

"Boring." He chuckled.

"No," the corners of my lips curved up slightly my fingers danced on the corner of his desk. "Minimalistic." I described it simply. I locked my eyes on Rock's. He looked at me with intrigue and I cleared my throat going to his window seat. Sitting down glancing at the house with the similar bedroom. "Why didn't you tell me about Frostee sooner?" I asked him seriously. He had a lot of explaining to do.

"What was I supposed to tell you?"

"You kept on asking if I had talked to him, maybe you should have told me about his...punishment." I choked out the word.

"Why would I tell you that?" He asked like I was being dumb. Maybe I was. I don't know what I'm talking about. "You can't stop it." He explained.

"You could've."

"Me?" He raised his eyebrows at me and pointed at himself. "Scarlett you have no idea."

"Then tell me." I pleaded. "Why weren't you there?" Rock only stared at me, his eyes fell and I knew he didn't want to tell me, but even so...he was going to.

"I wasn't there...so I didn't have to be the one to beat him." I rose from where I was sitting.

"W- What are you talking about?" Why would Rock be the one to beat Frostee? Why a beating?

"I'm a lot closer to Jefe than you think." Rock said breathing loudly.

"Who is Jefe?" I asked. I needed to know what exactly we were talking about before we went any further.

"Jefe is boss in Spanish remember?" I nodded forgetting he already told me that once. "His real name is José Luna. He is the leader of the Velvets." He explained. "I am Jefe's third in command." Rock pressed his lips into a thin line and he studied my face. It is hard enough to keep my composure around Rock, but him telling me all this new and startling information, it's impossible.

"Third." I repeated. I didn't need confirmation. I said it aloud as if it became more real that way. Even though I knew Rock was into the Velvets deep, I never imagined he was Jefe's right or I guess left-hand man. That is why I said I would be dating him instead of Frostee if I wanted to get close to Black Velvet. Now I know why he was so intimidatingly firm when he told me to stay away from him.

"I told him I was keeping an eye on East Coast so I didn't have to be there when it happened." Rock finally spoke again, as if he had given me time to process. As if I was processing any of this, at least in the right way.

"If you are so close to José why couldn't you at least lessen his sentence?" I stared at the floor and then looked up at Rock. Rock stepped back and sat on the edge of his bed.

"I did."

"How is that a lesser sentence?" I raised my voice slightly.

"Buzz," Rock took a breath and ran a hand through his hair, "I'm not trying to offend you by saying this, but: you don't know anything." He was one hundred percent correct, and this Scarlett would get offended by him saying something like that so I understood why he started the sentence like that. However, just for now, I'm dropping my mask. "Traditionally the only way you can join a gang is to take a beating." Rock licked his lips, "and the only way to leave it is to get beaten almost to the point of death." My breath caught, I couldn't stop it. I couldn't answer. Not yet. Death? I swallowed, but then I started breathing quickly the only sound I could hear was of my blood pumping in my ear.

"How much is Frostee having to endure?" I spoke below a whisper. I turned my gaze to Rock and he looked down at me with anguish written all over his face.

"No...That's enough for today." Rock stood and turned from me and he ran his hand through his hair pulling on the ends, not letting go easily. I stood behind him.

"Please. I need to know." I pleaded.

"No Scarlett you don't." He stayed turned away from me.

"Please."

He faced me, "Look at you baby girl." He placed his hands on either side of my shoulders. I didn't realize that I was shivering until his strong hands stopped it. "This is...it is too much." His mouth was slightly ajar and we were close enough that our toes almost touched.

"I'm fine..." I said unconvincingly because I was not, but I need to know what Frostee is having to go through.

"I'll tell you," Rock stepped back and let go, "not now." I frowned. "Let's take a break." Rock touched his hands to his thighs then went to the left side of his bed.

"And do what?" I shrugged.

"I don't know...take a nap." I looked at him with furrowed eyebrows.

However, the offer was tempting as I hadn't slept all night. Rock lay sitting up on the left side of his bed I got on the right side thankfully the king bed gave a good amount of space between us.

"We shouldn't have skipped." Did I just say that out loud? Shit, I got too comfortable.

"Yeah..." Rock agreed speaking slowly. I glanced over at him. His eyes were closed and he had one hand behind his head leaving his elbow above him. I turned back and stared straight ahead. "Clark was being such an asshole though. I've waited so long to mouth off to that prick." I smiled lightly because he wasn't wrong.

"Why did you wait? I'm sure he didn't just start acting like that since I moved here." I mentioned.

"I don't know." He turned to me his eyes a light hazel, "I guess I never felt the urge as strong before." My chest rose and lowered quickly. It was like he stole the air from my lungs. His eyes dove into my blue ones and I watched his eyes flicker all around my face. It was as if he was studying each feature like it contained some type of knowledge.

"Rockwell?!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry I'm a couple of days late! However, I hope you enjoyed it!

Don't forget to...

Comment!

Vote!

Follow!

Share!

Love you beautiful!

XOXO

P.K.