Chapter 17:

Beatrice dialed Marisa's number, driving away from the boy's house. She didn't have to wait for long when she heard a younger voice than she had expected.

-Hello! This is mom's phone. Who is this?, asked a little boy.

-Oh, hi Diego. It's Beatrice, Ava's friend from yesterday. Is your mom around?, said Beatrice with a light chuckle escaping her lips.

-Uh, mom is upstairs with Ava. I will call her. MOOOOOM!, screamed the boy.

Beatrice scrunched her nose because of the loud noise, chuckling.

-Thank you, Diego., chuckled Beatrice, finding it amusing.

-She's coming. You know, you're very different from Ava's old friends., revealed the boy.

-Oh yeah? How so?, wondered Beatrice, letting curiosity take over.

-You're pretty on the outside and inside. Her old friends were very ugly inside. Always had bad intentions. I am happy that Ava has a friend like you. She seems to feel the same way. She always gets home happy and always mentions you., continued the boy.

Beatrice didn't have the time to reply, hearing a voice in the background.

-Oh, mom is here! Bye Beatrice!, said Diego quickly as he hands the phone to Marisa.

-Bye kiddo., chuckled Beatrice, shaking her head with a light smile.

She heard the phone move around.

-Beatrice? Is everything okay?, asked Marisa, her voice filled with concern.

-Oh, yes. Yes. I mean, except for the obvious. How is Ava?, asked Beatrice, genuinely wanting to know how she's doing.

-Oh, she's doing...okay. As okay as she can be. But you could have called her or texted her to ask her that., chuckled the mother a little.

-I know. That is not why I called., admitted Beatrice.

-Why did you call then?, wondered Marisa.

-Ava sent messages to our groupchat apologizing for last night and how she ruined the night. The girls and I don't want her to think that she ruined anything or that any of it was her fault. We also want to help her get through this and we know there is not much we can do to help her. But we can be there for her. Show her that she's not alone. That I'm- I mean, we're always here for her. So we were wondering if maybe it would be okay with you if we could maybe come over tonight to keep her company? To keep her mind off things?, said Beatrice, trying to ignore the slip.

-Oh, that's very thoughtful of you girls. And yes, that is okay with me. But I will talk to Ava first. Okay? I will text you once I've talked to her. She could really use the support but I don't want to force if she doesn't feel like being surrounded by people., replied the mother who seemed to be considering it.

-Yes, of course. Let me know once you have talked to her. I will let the girls know., said the brunette, letting out a little sigh of relief.

-Okay. Good. Thank you, Beatrice. For everything., said Marisa.

-Ma'am- I mean, Marisa, you need to stop thanking me. This was Camila's idea and about yesterday, anyone would have done the same thing for Ava., admitted Beatrice.

-Oh. Well, thank Camila for me. And not everyone would have reacted the way you did. Ava told me that she tried to convince you to not drive you home. But you went against her wish. You put her safety and wellbeing first. And you stayed with her when she needed you the most. I am truly grateful that she has someone like you in her life, with good intentions and kindness and gentleness. She really needs that. She really needs you. I've never seen her get this attached to someone that quickly., explained the mother.