68. Hidden God

The hero commissioner visiting you was a surprise. You didn't look up from your painting, refusing to meet her eyes. She disgusted you.

"Good day, (Y/n)."

No response.

"I see that you're still keeping this meaningless grudge against me." She huffed. "Fine then. I'm here to check up on your condition. I see they've given you a lot of freedom."

You didn't reply.

"Well, seeing as you haven't escaped yet, you may be able to leave in a month. However, you will need that quirk restriction again and have a police officer on you at all times. The slightest of suspicious movement and you're coming back here. In the morning, you'll be able to leave but at night, you return here."

No reply.

"Keep this up and I won't allow you to leave."

"You are disgusting."

She laughed. "Do you think you have power here? You attempted to murder someone. You even confessed to it. How dare you pin your blame on me?"

"Maybe because it was yours to begin with. I'm quite content being here, which is why I'm not leaving. You know, don't you? That I don't need death to activate my quirk?"

She flinched.

"My father, I suppose? He gave me a gift that day, when I was visiting him. When quirks are under intense stress, under life or death situations, they evolve. You know that, right?"

She gulped.

"I never needed to take those pills. It wasn't death that gave me my quirk. It was me. I was the one giving myself quirks, death was only a catalyst. Even without me dying the first time, with that giant, I would've activated my quirk at some point. It's slow but it gave me any quirk I wanted. It can take a lifetime for a quirk. That's why when I die, it's a catalyst."

She stepped away from you as you continued painting.

"And on the day that All for One gave me intense pain, he gave me a gift. The ability to obtain quirks faster. My quirk evolved so that I could have any quirk at will. And you knew that. You knew all along but you tormented me with the idea of death."

She fell to her knees.

"Was it fun tormenting me? Am I only a toy? You do realize what I'm coming from, right? I am everything. I can manipulate everything around me. I can destroy this Earth and form a new one. I can destroy the universe and rebuild it in my eyes. I can destroy what the universe makes up. I can destroy the past and future. I can kill every single person on this Earth with a single wish and bring them all back. But I'm not a villain. I'm only a girl who wants to live normally."

At that moment, Ren Takahashi has never felt true fear until now. She could be killed and all traces of her would be wiped off the earth. She was nothing compared to the girl.

"I had a dream when I was still in the dorms. I was there. I was the universe, across dimensions, everything that makes up everything. I've killed the universe and rebuilt it when I wasn't happy with it. There is no beginning to this circle. It always ends this way. I remember now, clear as day. I always end up as the villain. I rule over this world. And then, I destroy it. I am always painted in a bad light. And you are in the center of it all. I always considered getting rid of you but I thought maybe it might change."

She gasped for air.

"And for billions of years, I continued waiting for the day I was born on this Earth. And for another billion years, I was reborn. Over and over and over again. No matter what, you always bring me to the villain side. I can't remember exactly what happens next. My memories are wiped each time I remake this Earth. I always have a sense of deja Vu. Don't get me wrong, I'm still fifteen. Sixteen now, actually. But this power of mine, I hate it. I long for the day I am truly loved. Across all lifetimes, across all universes, I hope to someday get the love I ask for."

You glanced at the gasping hero commissioner with a smirk.

"Thank goodness I'm not a villain. Thank goodness that I don't plan on killing anyone. Thank goodness that I don't plan on destroying this Earth or the next. I've had enough of this game. I think if there is a next time, I'll get rid of every bad thing in the equation."

It was terrifying. How a god is casually speaking of eliminating her.

"Well, your choice. I hope you make the right one, Miss hero commissioner."

She got to her feet and ran straight to the elevator, never having felt this threatened and terrified. What she had caged up, was a monster.

It was such a long dream, you noticed. You knew you were in a dream. Things were out of order and things didn't make sense. Your brain conjured up images and excuses for questions you had.

It showed the brain's true nature. You stood there, watching scenarios change. Everytime you blinked, random items replaced other random items, floating in midair.

"It's not a dream."

You weren't sure who's voice that was but it sounded familiar.

"It's our memories."

Memories? What did that mean? Was there a parallel universe?

"We...you...we have changed this home of ours. We are you. You are us. All actions you take is ours. Everything you are, we are. You're no mortal. You're...our creator. You are your own creator."

My own creator?

Things were not making sense. How did you exist? How did you create yourself? Is that woman your mother? Does All for One know of these voices? What's happening?

But you knew the voices were telling the truth. You had heard these voices, a long time ago. Like deja vu.

"We were once all powerful, but now you have a human body. This lifetime, it cannot happen. You rule over the earth and we rule over everything else. Please live as you please."

These voices were you. From another timeline, or from another parallel universe?

"Yes, we are the past, present, and future. We are everything. We know you. You know us. We are a part of you."

Me. Us.

Yes, that meant that you were a god, weren't you? You could...rule over the earth.

With an evil grin, you prepared to rule the earth. Suddenly, your figure shattered. You gasped as blood seeped through the cracks of your skin. Collapsing to your knees, you looked up.

"We will fend off all evil corrupting your mind. We are sorry. You should not have been evil. Be reborn again, and again shall you fall in love, and again you shall live normally. Fall victim to evil and we shall start over. Over and over and over. Until you live normally."

Horrified, quick and short gasps left your lips. You felt the world around you rearrange. Was this the past, present, or future?

You did not know. You did not know anything. What good was a god if she did not know what was happening?

Should you try to erase this world? And erase yourself, allow things to take course?

With a frustrated scream, you finally woke up.

It was horrifying to think about. You were a powerful being. You were everything, all at once.

This was too overwhelming.

"Oh no. We should not have caused this."

"Right, right. We're sorry. You're not prepared. Control your power, utilize it to save people. You were sent here to be our eyes. Please, do not stress yourself."

You felt a hand push you back on your bed, shutting your eyes.

"ፕልጕቿ ሁነ ጌልርጕ ጌቿቻዐዪቿ ነዘቿ ዕዪቿልጠፕ."