021. WHEN YOUR BACKS AGAINST THE WALL

Chapter twenty one

"When your backs against the wall."

Athena hadn't seen or heard from Stefan since that night and honestly, she was glad because after she broke his arm to get away from him to try and hurt her sister, she felt once again with her rage not being in check that it was best if she kept her distance from all vampires and that included him even though he seemed to be the only person to fully pull her out of it, and I guess seeing as she would be spending the entire day today with her mother it was a good thing, as she helped her carry packages to the front door.

Caroline walked up behind them "are you off today?" she asked, as the two turned to her "oh, come on, Caroline!" Athena voiced "the historical society volunteer picnic is today. You're the one who signed us up for it." their mom shared "no, I know. I just assumed you'd both bail." Caroline shared "nope, I'm going to spend the whole day with my daughters." their mom shared, as Caroline walked toward's them "you're gonna pretend to be a mother to both your kids?" she asked "I'll bring my gun if it's get rough." their mom shared, as Athena chuckled.

Caroline hummed "come on. Give me one day. I've been buried in work mode. I've barley seen either of you." their mom shared "well, be warned. I'm in a mood." Caroline shared "great.." Athena said, as Caroline hummed "what was Elena doing here so late?" their mom asked, as Athena furrowed her brows "Elena, wasn't.." Caroline said, and when she did, Athena's eyes went wide as she looked at her sister, realizing that not only was it Katherine but she had been let into her house and had been sneaking in during the times was the most unprepared, while she was sleeping.

"Yes, um..Elena was here. Uh, uh, she just needed to talk. Her and Stefan are going through a rough patch." Caroline shared, nodding as she turned to walk away "is everything okay with you?" their mom asked her, as Caroline turned to her "I'm fine." she told her "it's just lately, you seem different." their mom shared "I'm not different. I'm fine." Caroline told her, as their mom stepped forward "I know you think I only pay attention to Athena, but I pay attention to you too. What's going on with you?" she asked her "you know..there's pretending to be mother and then, there's reality. Let's not push our luck, okay?" Caroline asked her, turning and walking off.

Their mother then turned looking at Athena and seeing her face "you okay, sweetheart?" she asked her, as Athena shook her head "nope." she told her, turning and grabbing the cooler "I'm gonna go start to pack the car." she shared, turning and opening the front door, walking out.

Her mom was up by the table, as Athena was down by the car, grabbing things out of the trunk, Mason walked up to her "hey, let me help you, that stuff looks heavy." he shared, as Athena turned to him "I got it." she told him, lifting the cooler and one of the boxes, as she walked around Mason, she began to walk toward's her mother, as she passed Stefan "Athena.." he told her, but Athena walked right past him, continuing to ignore him, making it to the table where all the snacks and food were, she put the stuff down and huffed "you okay?" her mom asked her "just having an awful day." Athena shared.

As Mason walked up carrying one of the boxes, as her mom then nodded "I see." she told her, as Mason put the box down next to her's "hey, sheriff, you got a second?" he asked "I'm out of uniform. Let's go with Liz." her mom shared "alright, Liz." Mason told her, as Athena stood up, standing next to her mother, Mason stepped toward's them "I was hoping to talk to you both about the council." he shared, and when he did, Athena furrowed her brows along with her mom "we don't know what you're talking about." the two told him.

"I know you and the other founding families have a secret council." Mason told them "if that we're true, then you'd know it's a secret. And isn't discussed with non council members." her mom shared, as her and Athena continued doing their job "I know i rejected all that, but it's only because I wanted a life outside of this town. Not because I was a non believer." Mason shared, as Athena and her mom ignored him "look, I know that vampires exist and that Athena's job is to kill them. And you have two of them living right under your noses." Mason shared, as her mom turned to him "really?" she asked.