TWO: a dream that isn't real

WITH HER HEAD DOWN LOW, Akira Hiromitsu made her way through Lightyard Village, lost in thought. She couldn't stop thinking about how she messed up and let him slip away for the fifteenth time. It was embarrassing. Her mom and dad would have easily handled that man before his first attack.

Deep down, she believed she could prove everyone wrong. Prove she didn't need any flashy element to be a hero.

Akira knew she made a complete fool of herself today, but she wouldn't give up after that. She was going to show herself worthy of be­coming a hero.

Worthy of her family's name. (One day.)

Without powers, you wouldn't be considered a protector, a defender, or a hero of Kivvora. That's what everyone told her and what she found in her research on: 'how to become a hero without powers.'

That thief was right... she didn't deserve to take her dad's place.

Akira arrived at a bakery-café, shoved the door open, and the store bell rattled as it swung, almost falling off the mount. The shop fell silent, and all eyes turned towards her.

Ignoring them, Akira approached and stepped behind the pastry coun­ter. A pudgy man with steel-blue eyes and slick, black hair glared at her, lifting an eyebrow.

Uncle Jiang.

Akira tried to walk by as fast as possible, avoiding eye contact with him. But he cleared his throat, and she sighed, stopping in her tracks. She turned around to face him, crossing her arms.

"Ira, you could've frightened the customers away..." Uncle Jiang mentioned, his tone soothing but sharp.

Akira clicked her tongue, rolling her eyes. "Then tell them not to get scared easily when someone walks in." She said and headed for another entrance. "I'll be in upstairs. Can't help with the café today. It's... been a day." She glanced over her shoulder. "If you need me... it can wait."

The sounds of chatter and clanking dishes grew fainter as Akira proceeded up the narrow set of stairs leading to a cozy apartment.

She didn't mean to snap at Uncle Jiang. Her frustration got the best of her, fueled by her earlier anger. She refused to discuss what she did. He wouldn't like it. If he found out she chased that guy again, he would talk her ears off.

Akira dragged herself to her room and slammed the door. She slumped to the ground and covered her eyes as she tried to gather her racing thoughts.

"If you are a Hiromitsu..."

"Just a kid..."

"You're not worthy of taking your old man's place..."

She found it impossible to kick those words out of her head. Did he think she was a joke? Of course she was a Hiromitsu. But she was simply a kid... and like he said: "Not worthy of taking your old man's place."

Akira scoffed. "I am worthy," she mumbled. "And I will be just like you, dad... even better."

Akira leaned her head back and counted the cracks on the ceiling, distracting herself from the burning rage inside her heart. She pushed against tears, taking deep breaths. Like hell she would let a trouble­maker drag her down.

Why did that idiot have to bring up her lack of powers? Akira under­stood her worthlessness. She didn't need some stranger to remind her.

Being recognized as the best and strongest hero in Kivvora was Akira's childhood dream. (No thanks to her dad's notorious arrogance.)

But she knew this dream would never be possible because she lacked powers.

In order for one to be a hero, one had to be a Guardian.