TWENTY-SEVEN

THREE WEEKS WENT BY IN a blur and the weather began warming up for spring. But in those three weeks, there was no word, no sign of Lord Raiden. Again it was weird. He couldn't have given up like that. Akira should be celebrating or at least a little happy her enemy wasn't attacking anymore. But Raiden's silence was more worrisome.

Everything was fine when Akira and the others patrolled Blue Harmony village as far as the people's safety. But the people wern't so "fine" with Akira and her friends. The Guardians still got berated when they walked through the village. This brought Akira down more than anything, sadness sitting in her heart. She should rejoice in her victories (or the smaller ones she'd had). Not drown in the horrible words the world had to say about the Guardians.

It's been almost a month since the Lantern Festival, and the dis­aster that took place. Akira sat at the edge of the lake around Master Sugita's home, scrolling through the news on social networks. Kivorra still doubted their now so-called heroes. One post said "failures..." another, "disappointments". Akira blinked back tears as she continued scrolling—

"Those kids aren't heroes, and they never will be."

"If they're so strong, they should have been able to save their teammate. Not let her get kidnapped."

"They play with their powers like its some game or toy... aren't there laws against that?"

"They should have their powers taken from them and let a responsible adult handle these things... because clearly, these kids are doing an awful job."

Akira growled, squeezing her phone, getting the urge to throw it into the lake. Before her anger boiled over, she slid her phone back into her pocket, lifting her gaze to the horizon. The sun was setting, painting the sky with orange, pink, and light purple streaks. The air was warm, but the breeze was cool, rippling the lake in front of her. A dry yet sweet smell filled the air.

She felt she could do better in her training. Maybe she could have avoided all of this if she had trained harder instead of going to the festival. Maybe she would have been quick enough before Ukyo used his draining powers on Harumi. Another of Ukyo's worried Akira... a power that Chrys­alis can't grant. He could open portals... actual vortexes to different places with ease.

When she mentioned it to Master Yuuto, he expressed concern but assured her there was no need to worry. Kivvora's energy was so strong, Ukyo had limited access to where he could go. Most likely only places satu­rated in darkness, like Nabicho and Ushinatta.

Akira hugged her knees, burring her head in them, tears dripping onto her pants. What kind of Guardian was she supposed to be? When all she caused was the opposite of what they represented? She wasn't nearly as strong as Yamiyo or any of the others... not nearly as strong as her dad. But her friends, Master Yuuto... they tell her how far she's gotten for a Guardian who got their powers at fourteen. Akira wished she saw what they saw. But in her eyes, she will always be what the world thought of her. The Defective Guardian.

She let out a shaken sigh, trying to slow her tears. But her failures were all she could think about as the filled her mind, taking her away from the world around her. Until—

"Hey," someone said from behind her. Yamiyo. "I... I was looking for you."

Akira inhaled a small gasp, turning toward her friend, then hid her face in her knees again. She kept silent, not wanting to cry in front of him for the second time. "Hey..." was all she said and moved her eyes yo the sky.

"Are you... alright?" Yamiyo asked, getting closer to Akira. He kneeled next to her. "Have you been crying?"

"N-no..." Akira whispered, peaking at him out the corner of her eyes. "It's... nothing."