TWENTY-SIX

LORD RAIDEN RESEARCHED THE SYMBOLS listed in the Order of Guard­ians but didn't get far. He did more research on the Order as a whole and still found nothing. These symbols... what did it all mean? They had to be the key to activate the machine. They just had to be.

He gazed at the papers he drew the kivji symbols on. Out of eve­rything on the scroll... these seven marks alone were the heart of the entire order.

His master's patience was wearing thin, something Ukyo re­minded him of daily. However, Lord Raiden couldn't rush what his master desired. Despite the remaining workload, his master saw it as nothing more than an excuse. Ukyo understood, though he too was merely a pawn for the same master, sent solely to spy and ensure Lord Raiden's obedience. It was a constant reminder of the deal they had made. Raiden never forgot the promise he made to his master. He was not one to break such commitments. Lord Raiden wasn't taking long at all. His master was just an old, impatient bastard.

A sudden, forceful knock on his office door broke the silence. Unfazed, Lord Raiden kept his gaze fixed on his desk, knowing exactly who was responsible for the interruption. Despite not extending an invita­tion, Ukyo entered. Lord Raiden's eyes remained on the Order of Guardians and scattered papers, ignoring his demonic friend.

"Raiden..." Ukyo began, pressing his hands on the desk. "Master wants to speak to you... says he has a warning for you."

Lord Raiden bit his lip, bared his teeth then said, "Aren't you his mes­senger?"

"He asked to see you...." Ukyo's hand glowed a bright blue as he dragged his fist down, tearing a portal open. "Immediately."

Lord Raiden rolled his fists on his desk, not wanting to leave. He needed more time. If his master was asking for his immediate arrival, it was already too late for him.

Lord Raiden rolled his fists on his desk, not wanting to leave. He needed more time. If his master was asking for his immediate arrival, his fate was already sealed.

With a sigh, Lord Raiden rose from his desk and walked towards the portal. Whatever the punishment was, Raiden prayed it would be quick. And hopefully, someone else will bring the better world he desired.

Ukyo's portal led him straight to Yomikuni – the land of chaos and destruction. The underworld. Hell.

Lord Raiden never dreamt of seeing this dreadful place again. The memory of his last visit lingered, filled with the acrid stench of the air and the shouting of every lowly soul imprisoned here, plotting their hopeless escape. It was here, in this empty realm, where he had trained tirelessly long ago under his master's watchful eye. Now, as Raiden returned, a shiver ran down his spine, a chilling reminder of the bleak, suffocating air that clung to this forsaken place.

The sooner he received his master's message, the sooner he could es­cape this wretched place where Kivvora's low lives belonged. The place he'd probably end up if he doesn't fulfill his master's wish... or if the Guardians kick his ass and send him to this god-awful place.

Ukyo led Lord Raiden to the familiar place, the dark cave filled with the stench of decay, where the throne of "his royal wickedness" lived. The Sinister Emperor — the first emperor of Kivvora. Emperor Isamu Sugita. Lord Raiden stiffened, placing an arm to his chest, bowing forward. He held this posture for a while, his body remaining rigid and unmoving.

"Master Isamu, your majesty." he began. "Ukyo informed me of a message... err a warning you have for me?"

The ominous presence before him emitted a haunting chuckle, causing Lord Raiden to slowly rise. A knot formed in his throat as he locked eyes with his master. The distorted laugh echoed in his ears, drowning out all other sounds. It felt as though water flooded in, suf­focating him. Amidst the darkness, his master came into view — a floating, ethereal sphere of swirling black, blue, and grey, with piercing yellow eyes emanating from the center.

Lord Raiden took a step back but masked his fear behind his resting scowl. Isamu's eyes narrowed as he looked Raiden's way, prob­ably thinking of the many painful ways to end him. Seconds later, the glowing yellow eyes shifted to Ukyo standing next to him.

"Warning is such a strong word, Ukyo..." Emperor Isamu said. In dead silence, the dark orb whooshed to Lord Raiden, who backed up, swallowing a grunt. "I'm not here to berate you, my dark lord."

Lord Raiden bared his teeth. "If not, then why summon me here, master?" He uttered his words with caution.

Emperor Isamu giggled low, moving to the other side of Lord Raiden, getting closer to his face. "You're still working toward my free­dom and our plan for Kivvora. Correct?"

"Of course I am." Lord Raiden jerked away from the eerie orb. "I've found a way to free you, sir. But there is one problem I can't solve."

"Oh? And what would that be?" Emperor Isamu mused.

"The Order of Guardians—" Lord Raiden said firmly. "Know anything about that?" He stopped. "There's plenty of Chrysalis in your machine to open the portal... though the dark energy is too strong to open it in Kivvora. We need good energy to activate it."

Emperor Isamu let out a long and low "hmm" which turned into a slight maniacal chuckle. "Oh, I am very familiar with that piece of information. You should've come sooner when you found out about it."

Lord Raiden crossed his arms. "I could've come to you when I found out... Really?" He said in a flat tone. "And yet you waited this long to send your right-hand man to give me a warning?"

"I wanted to be... dramatic." Emperor Isamu replied with laughter in his voice.

Lord Raiden snarled, balling his hands into fists at his sides. Damn you beyond this hell hole...

Emperor Isamu continued, "The Order of Guardians — my mother was the one who created it. I can tell you everything you want to know." He stopped, floating closer to Lord Raiden. "And there are more secrets from my mother that you would be interested in as well... something that could help you and me tremendously."

Lord Raiden flashed his master a wicked grin, shaking his head. "What are you waiting for? You want your freedom... correct?"

With that, Emperor Isamu told Lord Raiden everything there was to know about the Order of Guardians — and one other piece of information that he didn't know about. Something he thought was legend and heard about long, long ago.

The Stones of Balance.

They had some connection to The Order of Guardians and the Guard­ians themselves. But no one knew where these stones were. They were leg­end, after all. But... Emperor Isamu had an idea of where to look. Rotasu... the royal city. Most of ancient Kivvoren history was at the palace, locked away. Jiro did steal the Order of Guardians scroll there. It was only obvious more information was there.

Isamu told Lord Raiden everything he knew. The Stones of Balance have a connection to the Order of Guardians. With power like that, those stones would provide the perfect amount of positive energy he needed to open the portal.

Now he was ready for the next part of his plan... his master would soon be free.