THIRTY-EIGHT

ONCE THE PARTY CAME TO an end, Akira sighed with relief as she walked with her friends into the palace. Nothing bad happed as she expected. Though the dark energy remained strong and motionless for the past two hours.

Master Yuuto taught her and the others about dark energy, how unpredictable it was, contained or uncontained. His brother, Isamu Sugita was the master of dark, destructive energy. It must have been scary growing up with a brother with such powers.

It was scary when Ayaki had his fits when the poison took con­trol of him. But she loved him so much. She knew Master Yuuto loved his brother too and tried his best to have him on a better path.

Everyone had gone to their rooms for the night, as Akira and the Guardians went up to the guest hall and lingered around in the dining area, looking out the window.

Beside Akira, Netsuto put his hand on her shoulder. "We got this, Kir." He said. "So, what time we boltin'?"

Akira looked at the time on her phone — it wasn't the right time yet. Somehow, she could feel it. There were still a few people awake in the palace and Master Yuuto wasn't in his room yet. "Midnight." She said and put her phone back in her pocket. "We rest until then."

Before Akira could turn to her room, muffled thunder rumbled and shook the walls and windows of the guest all.

Thunder? But the news didn't say anything about thunderstorms or rain tonight. Akira rushed out to the balcony to get a clearer look of Rotasu and gasped as she looked at the sky.

The dark energy covered the city, and black storm clouds filled out the entire sky. Bright, dark violet lighting zapped and spired with in the clouds.

Akira knew these clouds... and she knew this storm. That's why the news said nothing. This was elemental power.

Her breathing increased, her heartbeat in her throat and tears trying to break through. "A-Ayaki?" She looked down and her eyes dart around the city, searching for her brother. "But... that's impossible."

Loud thunder crackled through the sky and Akira shrieked. The winds picked up howling. The dark energy whirled, settling deeper in Rotasu, darker than it's ever been. The reaming people in the city street screamed and shouted for help as they ran around, searching for shelter.

The wind howled louder, blowing harder. Another loud crackle of lighting rattled the palace and Akira took a step back, trembling. No... this isn't true." She said. "It isn't real."

"Akira, what's going on?" Harumi asked.

Akira shook her head, going silent for a moment, then said, "This storm..."

The Guardians stared at her, fear written all over their faces. Akira rushed back inside, out the guest hall without a word. Her friends ran after her. She was glad they followed her.

As she neared the front doors of the palace, people poured in, seeking shelter from the storm. Akira looked around, there was still no sign of Cap­tain Kaneko. He should be here right now. How come he hasn't retuned, or has no one has found him yet?

Akira rushed out the front doors and the Guardians followed her. Be­hind her a guard called to her and the others. "Be careful, Guardians. This storm is... unnatural." He said before shutting the door.

Kazami rose her arms, grunting and straining, her hands flickering a faded pink. She lowered her hands and moaned, putting a hand to her head. "The winds won't obey my commands."

Rain poured down, thunder rumbled, and the harsh winds blew Akira hair to the side, nearly knocking her over. Akira grabbed her swords, holding her guard up as she scanned the area for anything suspicious. Then—