TWENTY-TWO

AKIRA MONITORED YAMIYO'S CONDITION, and he seemed to be doing better, but something still felt off. Yamiyo said he felt fine, but his eyes said otherwise.

Tomorrow was the Lantern Festival and last day of Shingetsuma. Akira wanted Yamiyo to be well enough so they could spend time paint and fly their lanterns together. Like they used to.

Akira got better at controlling her power over the past few days. Yamiyo was getting control over his power again, his pain becoming less. He was improving. But there was still something he wasn't telling her. Something he didn't want anyone finding out. Akira was worried about him. All she wanted was for Yamiyo to talk. It would be a matter of time before Master Yuuto found out.

As usual when Akira thought or spoke of him, the Energy Guardian came outside and stopped everyone from training. He locked his amber gaze on Yamiyo. He didn't look upset, but he also wasn't very happy either. "Yamiyo, come with me. I think we need to talk." He said.

Yamiyo turned to Akira with wide eyes. His face seemed to say: "You told him?"

Akira frowned. "I swear I didn't tell him anything."

Yamiyo looked down with a sigh as he followed the old man inside.

The other Guardians turned to Akira, confused.

"What was that all about." Netsuto asked.

Akira bit her lip. She couldn't tell them. She didn't want to upset Yamiyo anymore than she probably already has. "I-I'm not sure..."

She lied.

She lied to protect her him.

The others stare at her with more confusion. She was unsure of what to say. She tried thinking of a good excuse to make the situation and silence less awkward.

Kazami broke the silence. "Shall we resume training?"

Akira looked toward the house, feeling she betrayed Yamiyo. She turned back at Kazami with a nod. But Akira could hardly focus during the rest of training. All she could think about was Yamiyo and why Master Yuuto wanted to talk to him.

* * *

His energy was concerning. The darkness around him fell deeper and he pretended nothing was wrong. Master Yuuto seen it for a while now, but now, it was getting worse. He was hissing from something. Master Yuuto focused closer on Yamiyo's aura. The boy remained silent, looking down.

Fear.

All he felt was fear.

That's what caused his power to act this way. Causing a darkness within himself, causing his powers to become harder to control. The reaon he's been sick. Yuuto seen it all... but did nothing.

He trusted Yamiyo to be able to handle it himself. Trusted him to say something if anything got out of hand. But it seemed that wasn't the case. Yamiyo was at risk of allowing his power to control him.

His aura was darkening by the second. Master Yuuto could see it taking effect on Yamiyo's body. He looked weak. Sick. But acted like he felt nothing. The Shadow Guardian sat in front of him, fumbling his fingers, keeping his eye contact minimum.

Master Yuuto had to talk to him about this before Yamiyo hurt him­self more.

* * *

"Akira didn't tell me anything." Master Yuuto began.

Yamiyo straightened, his heart beating a little faster. "Uhh— I... don't know what you're talking about."

"I heard you two talking the other day... You're having trouble controlling your power?"