FIFTY-THREE

STEPPING OUT ONTO THE BALCONY, a chill shot through her veins. Thunder crashed in the distance and the darkness deepened in that direc­tion. Unease settled in her gut. This was not good. Akira didn't know how she would get the team there in time. Ayaki and Isamu seemed to have al­ready seized Kivvroa.

"Damn it..." She hissed, clenching her fists.

The others step out onto the balcony and Akira twisted to face them. "We need to go, now." Akira said. "No time to plan... we can plan on the way or something. Let's move."

"We'll never make it..." Umiji said.

"Kivvora would be destroyed by the time we can save anyone..." Ka­zami looked away. "We left Rostasu sixteen hours ago. Now, it's the middle of the day and the sun isn't even shining. We have no way to get us back quick enough."

What? Akira looked at her friends with a worried expression on her face. The look on their faces matched her own, all of them consumed by a feeling of hopelessness. 

Akira turned to face the direction Lord Raiden and Emperor Isamu went, the storm spreading across Kivvora.

It looked horrifying – but now wasn't time to give up.

Kazami was right, it would take them forever to get back, but Akira refused to lose hope. A way always existed, and like her father, she was determined to discover it.

"We.... we failed....?" Yamiyo's voice shook as he covered his mouth.

What the hell was causing this? It was like something was slowly changing their thinking, the same thoughts making way to Akira. And maybe her friends were right... maybe all was lost. 

No... this wasn't her thinking. There was a way out of this. Her eyes dart everywhere and she gasped once she saw a darkness, draining the color from her friends, the life fading from their eyes. 

Akira looked at her hand and her heart clenched as a blackness crept up her arm. The same blackness growing on the others. Shit... the storm... we're overwhelmed! She stared at the Guardians, their moments becoming less. If we don't stop feeling this way... we'll end up a Storm Servant...

Akira exhaled, focusing how she would get out of this. No way in hell she was giving up now... there was still hope. And that hope was her and her friends. But there was no way to get back to Rotasu in time! She'll never make it... no Guardian could. 

"Those jerks were right... Kivvora would get destroyed because of us..." Harumi frowned, almost crying.

Akira looked down and balled her hands into fists. Damn these negative thoughts... there is a way... there has to be another way I just know it. And I will find it! Her hands sparkled and she growled before letting out a shout, a burst of pale green light melting the darkness around her limbs. 

"They are not!" Akira yelled. "This is exactly how they want us to feel – lost, like there isn't hope left for us or Kivvora."

"Are you not seein' what we're seein'? Kivvora is fallin' right before us, Kir. There ain't hope." Netsuto said.

"No! All of you are wrong..." Akira said. "As crappy as things may seem," she pointed behind herself toward the Royal city. "Things are never hopeless. Madam Mugumi Sugita didn't give up when her son went apeshit on the world back then... Today, we are gonna do the same..." 

She looked at her hands and smiled, tearing up as she re­membered a silly quote her brother used to say when she felt like giv­ing up. "Because when a storm ends, there will always be a light that shines."

In an instant, a spark ignited within Akira, flooding her with a surge of luminous energy, lifting her off the ground, enveloping her in an intense, radiant glow. Her face lit up with a wide grin as she tightened her fists with excitement. Another burst of light erupted out of her, showering arrows of light over her friends, filling them with their hearts with hope, destroying the blackness consuming them.