FIFTY-SIX

FOR ONCE, HIS MIND WAS at peace.

Yamiyo opened his eyes and found himself laying in a soft, grassy meadow, filled with white and pale blue flowers, swaying in the gentle wind. The sky a mixture of fading oranges, soft purples, and deep blues as yellow butterflies fluttered through the cool air. He sat up and looked around and gasped—

His parents between his parents. But not the twisted versions his mind created. They were the gentle, tender-hearted people who loved and cared for him. He wanted to stay here forever.

"You remembered us..." Yomiro, his father said.

"The real us," said Tsukage, his mother.

Yamiyo's wiped the tears brimming in his eyes. "I love you," he said. "I-I miss you both."

"We miss you too Yamiyo," they said. "And we will always love you."

Yamiyo was weightless as he reached for his parents, but their voices faded and the image vanished, leaving him in silence. The sounds of his gentle breathing replacing that silence.

* * *

Sunlight hugged his face and his eyes blinked open. He was in his room, in the palace. Akira sat beside him on the bed biting her fingers. Yamiyo grunted as her reached to squeeze her arm. She flinched twisting to him and gasped.

"Oh thank kivamis you're awake! How are you feeling? You had a... nasty wound. Yuuto said it was a slow destruction scratch from that blade Isamu struck you with. I see why you didn't feel anything at first. It didn't become a full gash until later." Akira rambled. "The medics were able to patch you up. They let me stay in here to keep an eye on you. I couldn't sleep any because... you were sleep for two days..." 

She stopped and looked away. "I was so worried about you."

Yamiyo pushed himself up and moved to sit next to Akira. He looked at her and smiled. "Thank you... for saving my life ... and never giving up on me." He said, combing his fingers through his hair.

"Of course," Akira gave his arm a light punch. "That's what are friends for."

Yamiyo blinked and looked out the window. "So, it's over... the battle with Lord Raiden and Emperor Isamu?"

Akira sighed. "We won't have to worry about Isamu anymore. He's bound to Yomikuni... he can't escape this time. As for Lord Raiden... well—"

She bit her lips, tears rolling off her face. Yamiyo rubbed Akira cheek with a finger, wiping away her tears. "We'll bring him back to his senses... no matter how long it takes. I will stand with you."

Akira leaned her head on Yamiyo's shoulder, and his heart skipped a few beats.

"What would I do without you, Yaya..."

Yamiyo pulled her closer to him, securing Akira's head with a hand. "Your words... that's what are friends for."