THIRTY-ONE

AKIRA PACKED ONLY ONE BAG for Rotasu, her mind overwhelmed with fear. Fear. Akira Hiromitsu didn't "fear" — couldn't fear. Wouldn't allow herself feel fear. And here she was.

She was a Guardian in training. She didn't even know how to begin a plan to stop an unknown threat. (Even though she broke a friend out of an evil dude's lab... without much of a plan.) Akira didn't feel strong enough. Didn't feel like a hero enough. Still, Emperor Shiro wanted her, and the others present at the palace.

Akira couldn't go. People were still talking about the Guardians being 'bad' ones. Harumi's kidnapping changed everything... how Kivvora saw all Guardians now.

With or without powers, Akira still brought dishonor to her family after all. Tainting her name with... whatever this is with the rumors.

Uncle Jiang hasn't called back since the incident. Not even a text... it wasn't like him. Maybe he was mad... or disappointed in her. Maybe he's busy with the café... or too tired? Or doesn't love her anymore. Her parents sure didn't love her... that's why they dropped left her with Jiang to go on that damn trip to where ever the hell it is they went.

Akira exhaled. Or maybe she was thinking the worst again... but she couldn't stop feeling that her uncle didn't love her.

"I never known you to fear, Akira Hiromitsu." Master Yuuto's voice sounded from behind her.

Akira flinched and whipped around to face him, startled by his sudden presence. Suppressing her witty remark, she exhaled deeply.

"I—" she started, unsure of what to say. "I don't know what I'm do­ing, Master."

Damn, that was hard.

Akira braced herself as Master Yuuto entered her room. She ex­pected the sharp crack of his cane atop her head, but this time, he didn't.

"What don't you know how to do? You've been doing a decent job with your training. You have better control over you're light and unlocked beast chi."

Akira bit her lip, hugging herself. "But I'm not strong enough." She said. "I'm not like my dad... not even close." She pressed her fingertips to her temples, rambling on. "And now we're needed in Rotasu to keep an eye on a threat? There are rumors about us being bad Guardians, and—"

She stopped, taking a deep breath. "I'll never be good enough to be the Light Guardian."

The silence was long before Master Yuuto responded. "You are the Light Guardian."

"By blood and inheritance," Akira said. "I'm not the Guardian I'm supposed to be..."

Akira clenched and unclenched her fists, keeping her eyes away. She never told anyone how she felt about herself. Not even Yamiyo. A flicker of rage ignited within her. Self-rage. Her Light didn't react to it, but she felt it wanting to come up.

Why can't I be good enough for anyone?

"Anger holds you back, Akira," Master Yuuto said. "The only way for you to evolve is to let go of what holds you back." He paused. "Let your anger go. Only then will you become stronger."

Akira was angry at a lot of things. Sometimes she didn't even know what she was angry at. How could she let it go?

"You have a good heart," Master Yuuto continued. "A heart of a true Guardian. A hero. It's even purer than your fathers."

Akira closed her eyes before looking at the old man. "What if we fail out there? And bring the world down more?"

"You're a Hiromitsu, aren't you?" Master Yuuto said before walking toward her door. "A Hiromitsu never fails." He gave a reassur­ing smile before leaving her room.