FOURTY-ONE

THE MEMORY OF AYAKI REPLAYED vividly in her mind.

It was the middle of spring. The sun was setting in a pinkish yellow sky. A gentle breeze swirled though the heavy hot air, rustling the sakura blossom trees.

Akira was three years old. Ayaki was thirteen. The siblings sat in the backyard of their home, relaxing under a tree. Akira sat in her brother's lap while he twisted and played with her hair. This soothed her and she always enjoyed it when Ayaki played in her hair.

Ayaki picked a vine of dark blue flowers from the bush beside him and weaved it through Akira's hair, creating a flower crown. Akira giggled, squirming at the tickling sensation on her scalp.

"Hold still, Kirameku." Ayaki chuckled. "It has to be perfect."

"But it tickles." Akira squeaked, a hint laughter in her childish voice.

After Ayaki finished, he stood, and Akira jumped up with him. "You look like a princess," he said. "How could someone so beautiful ever be my sister."

Akira squealed, spinning around on one foot. She stopped before she got dizzy but her world spun anyway. Ayaki held Akira still, laughing with her.

In seconds, Ayaki froze in place, grabbing his head. "Ack! No..." He grunted, backing away from Akira.

The young girl never seen her brother like this before. So afraid and in pain. Ayaki's deep violet eyes flashed red and flickered back and forth between the colors.

Akira stood there, watching him with tears in her eyes. What was happening? She knew he was sick, but she never seen his eyes change color before. What was happening to her older brother?

"A-Akira... you need to go." He struggled to say. His eyes shut tight. "You're going to get hurt."

"Yaki? What's the matter?" Akira whimpered.

"It... it's nothing," Ayaki said. "It's just... the sickness..." His groans became weaker. "Please... leave... I don't want to hurt you."

As he said that, violet lighting and storm clouds exploded around him. Ayaki shouted, his voice stained.

"Yaki!" Akira screamed.

Soon, their dad rushed outside and so did their mom. Huang scooped up Akira and she squirmed in his arms.

"Lemme go! Lemme go!" Akira screamed, slamming her fists on her dad's arms. "I wanna see Yaki! I wanna see him!"

"I know," Huang whispered. "But right now, your brother is dangerous. And he doesn't want to hurt you..."

Akira stopped her tantrum as tears dripped off her chin. She looked in Ayaki's direction. Her mom was trying to control the Storms around Ayaki while she tried calming him down. Ayaki screamed more, glaring at Naniko, but also reaching to her for help.

"This is why we need you two to stay away from each other. To prevent any.... accidents..." Huang said. "Do you understand, Akira?"

Akira shook her head. "I wanna see him..." She choked.

"I know." Huang said, holding her tight against his chest. "Let's go inside for now. Mama can handle Ayaki. They share the same power after all." He hesitated. "She'll get him under control."

Akira fell silent, face burning, tears staining her face. She kept her eyes on Ayaki as he struggled with his powers. Huang rubbed Akira's back and her eyes become heavy as she relaxed in his arms.

Later that night, when Akira knew her parents were asleep, she crept out of her room, and snuck down the dark hallway to Ayaki's room. He was sleeping, his face creased with pain, tiredness, and terror. Akira climbed into her brother's bed and shook him. He stirred a little before opening his eyes.