TWENTY-THREE

THE MOTORCYCLE WAS FAST. Very fast. The wintery winds whipped against Akira's long black hair as she sped forward. She grinned, laughing as she revved the engine. Netsuto and Yamiyo sped up beside her, as Ka­zami and Umiji flew above in their jets.

She frowned when she looked up at Umiji. He looked so worried about his sister. He hadn't said a word since Harumi's been taken.

Akira spoke to Umiji through the communication device in her helmet. "We'll get her back, Umi."

The Water Guardian sighed. "I know... It's just... I'm worried what she's going through. I hope he isn't hurting her."

Netsuto's transmission buzzed in, he laughed. "Oh, he'll pay if he dares to even lay a finger on her," he said. "I'll burn him and send him to hell myself."

The Fire Guardian accelerated, stomping on the gas pedal, and zoomed ahead of Akira and Yamiyo. Harumi's innocent and vulnera­ble face flashed through Akira's mind. Fueled by a flood of fury, Akira's determination grew stronger. No one would harm Harumi. Not while Akira was breathing.

With each twist and turn, the Guardians drew closer to Nabicho. The night shivered, aware of what was coming. Akira's grip on the handlebars tightened, her knuckles turning white, as she braced herself for Lord Raiden... and rescuing Harumi.

Akira soon arrived at the secluded valley surrounded by towering mountains. The raw air filled her lungs with the slight scent of pine. She parked her bike at the entrance, the tires crunching against the rocky, dirt path as the humming motor faded.

As she stepped off, Netsuto was already waiting, leaning against a mountain with a childish grin on his face. A moment later, Yamiyo drove in, his revving racecar echoing throughout. Kazami and Umiji came in last, landing their jets nearby, their engines resonating in the air.

Akira nodded once, leading the others inside the valley. As she made her way towards Raiden's laboratory, Akira mapped out her plan to rescue Harumi, her mind racing with various strategies. She stuck to the least complicated one and shared it with the others.

Akira suggested she would head in first to talk to Lord Raiden and ask for Harumi back – which of corse, he wasn't going to do be­cause that's who he was. So that's when Akira would pretend to be desperate and would do anything to save Harumi. She would join forces with him in exchange of Harumi's freedom... and when he wasn;t looking, Akira would turn against him.

While all of this was happening, Akira thought it would be great chance to see what Raiden was doing with the Chrysalis. Akira asked the others to take on that task after she was inside. But they needed to find another way inside so they wouldn't get caught.

"Are you sure about this?" Yamiyo asked, his voice concerned.

Akira nodded with a reassuring smile. "I'll be fine. Just wait for me." She said before heading toward the entrance of his laboratory. She pressed long on the doorbell, and it buzzed from the outside. Then, a camera rushed into her face she backed up.

A low voice snarled. "Can I help you?"

Akira crossed her arms and grinned. "I came to reconsider Lord Raiden's offer."

The air was thick with silence, interrupted by the man's menacing snarl. Seconds later, the door creaked open, releasing a light sent of acrid chemicals. The guard she spoke to invited her inside as his gaze narrowed, his eyes following her every step. Ignoring the man's suspicion, she walked with her arms folded behind her back and with a scowl to look more con­vincing.

The guard opened a door and walked Akira inside. As her eyes ad­justed to the low light, Akira glimpsed Jiro's face and uttered a low growl. Jiro's sinister grin sent a shiver down her spine. His features became more monstrous since Lord Raiden injected that Chrysalis into him. The guard nodded to Jiro before he left, leaning Akira with him. With a flick of his hand, Jiro motioned Akira to follow him, leading her through a labyrinth of corridors.