FIFTY-FOUR

THE GUARDIANS STEPPED BACK AND Akira looked at Lord Raiden whose eyes flickered with glee as the lightning in his hands became stronger.

Emperor Isamu cackled, his body glowing a deep red and his eyes now completely black. He surrounded himself in an unnerving darkness as red flares flashed around him.

Akira's stomach lurched as the dark energy encircled her. Dizziness settled in, but she braced herself and prepared for herself for anything. Whatever Isamu was doing... his plan may have been more sinister than Akira imagined.

Emperor Isamu went from a almost 'normal' look to a horrid abomi­nation: a colossal, black demon, with long red horns coming out from eve­rywhere on his body. His eyes glowing yellow with red, cat like slits in them.

Without thinking Akira charged her body with Light and froze, her attack still in hand. She didn't know if she would be able to take him down... even if she worked together with the Guardians.

Isamu bellowed in their face and charged at the team with enhanced, unnatural speed.

As he got closer, Akira blasted two spears of Light in Isamu's eyes and he screamed. While he was blinded, Akira summoned her light tiger, but before she could command it to attack, Isamu disinte­grating her beast with a single swipe of his claw.

Akira's throat dried and Isamu conjured orbs of dark energy, cir­cling around hands and lashed them at Akira.

Kazami shot out her wind falcon, absorbing the attack, but the dark energy soon weakened her seconds later and she collapsed to her side. She whimpered as she struggled to steady herself.

Netsuto summoned his fire ram and willed it toward Isamu. With his sword, the Fire Guardian ran with his beast. As Netsuto got closer, Isamu slammed the fire ram into nothing, then twisted to yank Netsuto's arm and hurled him across the sky.

Yamiyo grunted as he raised his arms, creating a slope of Shad­ows, breaking Netsuto fall. After, he stomped a foot on the ground and lifted a hand and his shadow cobra, hissed behind him.

Before he could give it a command, Emperor Isamu blasted Yamiyo with shuriken of dark energy, striking him. He grunted and his hands shooting straight to his side. He staggered a bit but kept his balance.

Akira growled and dashed at Isamu with her butterfly swords and slit his arms... but it didn't cause real harm. And his wounds healed quickly.

The hell?

Out of nowhere, Lord Raiden kicked Akira's chest and she fell back, coughing. Before she could get back up, Raiden launched a light­ning Storm, but Yamiyo defected it with his Shadows.

Lord Raiden hissed and prepared another Storm attack and held it in his grasp. Before releasing it, Emperor Isamu raised his hand. Raiden rolled his eyes and groaned, dropping his Storms.

"What the hell, Isamu?"

"Calm down, Raiden..." he said. "Remember? The deal was to get them to submit to me... not to kill them."

"Submit my ass." Netsuto yelled.

"Give it up, Isamu... we'll never take orders from you." Kazami added.

Emperor Isamu snarled. "If you don't obey, how do you think you can defeat us? You cannot resist the future that is already in store for long." He said. "All of you want a better world just like us, don't you? Hand me the Stones of Balance and I will end the suffering this cruel of this world and restore everything it has taken from each of you."

"Never." The Guardians said in unison.

"Ayaki, please listen to me. I'm your sister. The world this a-hole has in mind – isn't a good one. You think the world would be better if we saw eye to eye with you two, but you're wrong." Akira said, her voice shaking.