FOUR: illuminate

AKIRA TREMBLED, HER MIND RACING as she contemplated her next steps and tried to maintain a facade of bravery. She didn't think this through, she just wanted them to stop hurting Yamiyo and that somewhat innocent Master Yuuto. They wanted her, not them. Revealing herself was the only thing she could think of to make them stop. It was that "after" part she didn't plan for.

A part of Akira wished she would've remained hidden, like Yamiyo told her to. Not to stick her nose in someone else's business, like Uncle Jiang said. But deep down, she felt what she did was right and there was no going back now.

Tsume and Kiba dropped Yamiyo. Kamiaka and Gin let Master Yuuto go. Howling, Four Claw charged at Akira. They leaped into the air and hit the ground. They were no longer human.

They were monstrous wolves, snarling as they prowled closer to her. Akira gasped, her eyes widening in surprise, as she took a hesitant step back, her hands raised defensively. They were huge. Really, really huge.

Four Claw bolted Akira's way, and without thinking, she went for Yamiyo and Master Yuuto. She wasn't fast enough. As the wolf siblings got closer to her, they transformed back to their part-humans forms.

Kamiaka kicked Akira in her stomach with a forceful swing. Akira gagged at the sharp, burning pain as she wrapped her arms around her belly. Akira struggled to stand upright and defend herself. She tried throwing a punch at Kamiaka but the red-haired hybrid grabbed Akira's wrist, lifted her up and slammed her on the ground. Akira grunted and whimpered, breathing heavy.

Four Claw surrounded her. Akira tried to get away, but Kamiaka's firm grip kept her glued to the frozen stone ground. "Stop struggling... Hiromitsu..." Kamiaka's icy whisper sent shivers down Akira's spine. Then the hybrid flicked her gaze to her siblings, her pur­ple eyes almost glowing with glee.

"Apprehend the other two. I don't want any more accidents stopping us from bringing Akira Hiromitsu to Lord Raiden." She de­manded and they obeyed.

Akira strained against Kamiaka's strength, shouting, with rage and fear. "No." She screamed. "Don't hurt them." She lowered her voice below a whisper. "Please..."

Kamiaka chuckled. "Are we done playing hero?" She purred. "Who's going to save you now? Your 'friends' won't be able to save you," she said, grabbing Akira by her chin and forcing her to look at Yamiyo and the Master. "My siblings will making sure of that."

Akira growled and jerked her head to the side, but Kamiaka gripped her cheeks harder, her nails piercing her face, drawing blood. Akira winced. "I don't need them to save me," she spoke through gritted teeth, her voice hoarse. "I can save myself."

Kamiaka flashed a sinister side grin, then picked Akira up by her collar and slammed her against a wall, trapping her with a firm grip on her shoulders. Akira yelped on impact and gasped when Kamiaka got closer to her face. Her smile growing more wicked.

"And look where saving yourself has gotten you now," she sneered. "Look where it's got your friends."

Akira's eyes widened. Was this her fault? Yes. It was... She should've stayed behind, in her hiding spot. She should have never gotten involved and revealed herself.

"It's weird that Lord Raiden wants someone like you. Funny actually." She giggled. "You don't have powers and you're weak."

The words sank in, twisting Akira's heart with a painful blow. Her blood boiled and she pushed herself forward, but Kamiaka tightened her grip and pushed her back to the wall. A tired grunt escaped Akira's throat.

"That right... I don't have powers." Akira took in a shallow breath. "But don't call me weak. I am not weak."

"Oh... I've hit a nerve, didn't I?" Kamiaka purred. "I'm not scared of some powerless, weaking, hero want-to-be."