EIGHTEEN (part 2): holding on

Akira growled at the note pined on the refrigerator. Master Yuuto had gone out to run some errands. She wanted to talk to him now. She let it go then proceeded to make some breakfast before training (so she wouldn't burn herself out like last time).

Even after all that happened last night, Akira still had to train. Her brain was foggy, and her movement was slow. She yawned then rubbed her eyes.

Behind her, faint footsteps approached. She turned around, surprised to see Umiji standing behind her. The eleven-year-old boy smiled and clasped his hands behind his back "Morning, Akira." He said. "What' cha up to?"

Akira rubbed the back of her neck and looked upward to the side and laughed. "Nothing really. Just looking for something to eat before training." She turned to the refrigerator and sighed. "Master Yuuto's out... I wanted to talk to him about... you know. Last night."

Umiji went silent. "Lord Raiden's not really doing anything with that... purple stuff, is he?" He asked, fear in his voice.

Akira turned to the frightened eleven-year-old. He was asking her, and she didn't even know how to answer him. "I... I don't know..." She said, ashamed.

She is a Guardian. She should have the answer. But she was just as confused as him. What was Lord Raiden planning on doing with that... what did he call it? Chrysalis. "But he is up to something... I... I can feel it."

Umiji bit his lip. "You're gonna help us right? You and Yamiyo?"

He leaned his head sideways. "You two aren't leaving when things get bad... are you?"

Akira chuckled. "Of course not."

Umiji smiled as he hugged Akira. "Because we need you two if we're going to face that scary guy." He let go of Akira then went to the refrigerator and opened it. "I'll help you make breakfast, if that's okay with you." He looked over his shoulder and smiled.

Akira nodded and smiled back at the sweet young boy. "Of course."

Umiji tossed a bag of chives and a bag of sliced ham at Akira. She fumbled to catch them. "Turn the stove on then chop those up for the eggs. Oh, and don't forget to oil the pan."

Akira set the bag of chives and sliced ham on the counter. Then, she clicked on the stove and pulled an iron skillet over the open flame. She poured some oil into the skillet and Umiji laughed a little bit. "That's not enough oil, Kira. Pour some more."

Akira raised an eyebrow then pour a little more oil in. Umiji shook his head, so she poured more and more until he told her to stop. She capped the oil and pushed it aside. Akira proceeded to chop the chives and sliced ham. Now, chopping, she knew how to do.

At Uncle Jiang's café, she made the third most sold item there – the cheese and ham croissants. She also made the chocolate garnishes for cakes, cupcakes, and cookies.

Though, Cooking, she was blind to. She only knew how to bake and toast in an oven. And make instant noodles.

A faint clanking filled the kitchen. Umiji whisked the eggs with a fork in a medium ceramic dish.

The sound of chopping continued from Akira. Umiji waited about five minutes before pouring the eggs into the skillet, sizzling and hissing filling the kitchen.

"You can put the ham and chives in now." Umiji said and Akira did exactly that. More hissing followed. Umiji sprinkled some and pepper be­fore handing Akira a wooden spoon. "Mix."

Akira grabbed the spoon from him then stared at the eggs now bub­bling at the sides. She stirred the raw mix and it slowly turn into half solid lumps. She continued scraping and stirring.

Standing next to her, Umiji smiled. "You're doing great," he said. "What should we serve with it? Bagel or regular bread?"

Akira stopped stirring then looked at Umiji. "Um, bagel." She said then turned back to the skillet, stirring the eggs, ham, and chives.

"Hey, Kira?" Umiji began. Before Akira could reply, he continued. "Your brother was the Storm Guardian?"

Akira jolted, hesitated, then gave a nod.

"Your older brother?"

"Yeah..." Akira said, she stirred the eggs slower as she thought about him more. She gripped the wooden spoon tighter.

"I'm sorry for your loss. Lord Raiden will pay for what he did."

Akira smiled slightly at the boy and gave him a nod.

Umiji looked at the skillet. "The eggs are done. After I toast the ba­gels, breakfast will be ready to serve."

Akira nodded and turned the stove off. The smell of toast filled the kitchen now. Soon, the others came in one by one, Harumi came in first. Then, Netsuto and Kazami came and sat next to each other. Yamiyo came in last and sat at the end of the table. Akira waved shyly at him – he gave a slight smile in return.

"Smells great in there, you two." Netsuto said. "Where's the old man at. We still gotta tell him about, you know what." Akira directed her eyes to the refrigerator. "He's out shopping." She said. "Didn't say when he'll be back."

The toaster oven chimed and Umiij plated the six bagel halves. He evenly toped the halves with the scramble and put the plates on a circular tray and handed it to Akira. He nodded at her to bring the tray to the table, and she placed it at the center.

Akira took a seat near Yamiyo, and she reached for two plates, one for Yamiyo and one for herself.

She looked him in his eyes. He seemed lost and tired. She shouldn't have snapped at him earlier. Maybe that's why he's feeling this way. Akira put a hand on his shoulder, and he looked at her, he forced a smile, closed his eyes, and bobbed his head once.

That look said "I'm okay" – but deep down, Akira knew that wasn't the case. She didn't want to make a big deal in front of everyone right now. Later, she would talk to him when it was just the two of them.

Akira took a bite from her egg and ham scramble bagel. Right now, all she could think about was training and getting revenge on Lord Raiden for what he's done to Ayaki.