NINE

AKIRA CURSED HERSELF LOUDLY AS she leapt out of bed. She scrambled around her room with a ponding headache and a brain fogged with sleep. She didn't need the time to know she'd overslept.

Akira was still drained from that excessive amount of power she let out yesterday. The burning sensation still boiled underneath her skin, as if she just summoned her Light.

She piled on layers of undershirts and leggings before putting on a white long-sleeved shirt and a dark blue, knee-length skirt. She would've worn pants, but her legs would've felt sluggish over the extra layers.

Akira sat on the edge of her bed, tugged up a pair of long socks before steping into her ankle-high boots. She pulled on a warm winter coat as she reached for a pair of fuzzy grey gloves.

After that, she grabbed her packed bags and rushed out her room. Akira went downstairs to the café where Uncle Jiang had the ovens on and ready for the day.

This morning would be the last time she saw her uncle for a long time. Akira wished she would've gotten up earlier so she could at least have one decent hour to spend with him. But she woke up late and only had time to say bye to him.

Uncle Jiang's smile was gentle as he handed Akira a white paper bag filled with pastries, cookies, and the delicious chocolate muffins she could never resist. "I packed all your favorites."

Oh thank the kivami they weren't those horrid cranberry-orange muffins. Akira thanked him and slipped the paper bag into her tote with her miscellaneous items.

Akira stood on her toes and kissed her uncle on his cheek, be­fore running toward the door. She stooped to wave. "Take care of yourself, uncle. Love you."

A wink of a smile cracked Uncle Jiang's lips. "I will. I love you too, Ira." He said. "Good luck."

"Don't need it."

She waved goodbye once more before leaving the café.

Akira exhaled, her breath visible. She faced the café. It had been her home for ten years. Now she was leaving. Part of her wanted to stay here. She could train herself at home. She didn't need to go to Shizukana. She didn't need that old dude's lessons. But—

Another part of her was telling her to go. Go to Shizukana and train. Master Yuki Kuki, or whatever his name was, would teach her the way of the Guardians. How to control her power and use them responsibly. Use them so she wouldn't hurt others or herself.

Akira was lucky she didn't hurt herself more yesterday and only suffered a headache with a few body aches and a fever.

"Your Light is wild as a tiger who hasn't eaten in centuries." The old man had said.

He could see that just by looking at her aura and energy? Damn. That's some power of his. Akira was almost jealous and kind of wished she had the master's element and he had hers.

Akira dashed toward the train station as she finally checked the time on her phone. It was seven minutes 'til five and ran faster. She's going to be late and would probably get cane-whacked by the old guy again as punishment.

* * *

Akira arrived at the station one minute after five and as fast as she could blink, someone kicked her from behind and she stumbled forward. Akira growled, knowing only one being in Kivvora who would do that for no rea­son. She got up, her body stinging with pain and surprise, and Yamiyo was laughing beside her.

Well, damn. He must've been here early.

Akira shot Yamiyo a look and he stopped laughing, trying to hide a grin. She turned to the short old man and crossed her arms, raising an eye­brow. "You want to tell me what that was about? Master."