No Matter the Lives Lost

Tanjiro slowly begins to wake up, feeling his breathing at a steady pace. The poison was removed somehow.

Tanjiro: Guess I was spared.

He looked around seeing Yoshiwara in complete ruins.

Tanjiro: This is a disaster.

Suddenly he smelled something familiar to him.

Tanjiro: That smell!! It's Genya!

He looks to see him walking towards him, but he was far from Tanjiro to see his face.

Tanjiro: (This is bad! I can't smell the demons cent on him! Is he able to conceal it!?)

As Genya gets close enough, the moonlight shows his face returned to normal.

Genya: Wow. You look like you've seen a ghost.

Genya: Wait. Genya?

Genya: Who else is here for you?

Tanjiro: I... I don't understand.

Genya: I know. I know. I owe you an explanation. So, can you stand?

Tanjiro: Huh?

Genya: Are you able to walk?

Understanding his question, Tanjiro tires to stand back up. But unfortunately, his legs buckle down from the battle.

Tanjiro: I guess I used all of my strength into beheading the demon.

Feeling slightly irritated, Genya picks up Tanjiro putting him on his back.

Genya: Then I guess we're playing piggy-back then.

He begins to walk as he starts to explain his story.

Genya: So, I guess it started during my first mission. I was fighting the demon and I was backed into a corner. I couldn't use my Storm Breathing techniques. And then suddenly, an act of instinct kicked in. It told me to bite on the demon's flesh. So, I did just that. And then this rush of energy and adrenaline kicked in. I was able to defeat the demon, but Himejima saw my transformation. And yet, he didn't even try to kill me. The transformation lasts temporary, so I was able to return to my human estate. But he still had me go to the Insect Hashira's manor. I explained my situation, and this is what she said to me.

(Flashback)

Shinobu: So, you're able to acquire the abilities of demons that include their blood demon art, strength, and regeneration for a limited time?

She was indeed trying her best not to lash out at him. But then she sighs.

Shinobu: Well I guess it can't be helped.

Genya: Huh?

He was very confused on her expression.

Shinobu: I have heard rumors of a number of humans able to have enhanced senses including taste. I would seem as if you're one of those that can take the power of demons as your own.

She began to lead Genya to an empty room that had medical equipment.

Shinobu: However, that would mean that I'd have to conduct a number of experiments to ensure your survival, including resisting poison.

Genya: Wait what!?

He tried to run, but Shinobu pinched him in a pressure point paralyzing the boy, allowing her to strap him to the bed.

Genya: Hashira, you're scaring me here!

Shinobu: Well, we Hashira are known for being quite intimidating. Now you just relax, and I'll begin the treatment.