3.8 - Of all punishments, death is the least worthy

Of course, Shao Qinghe is not dead.

  When he woke up, he found himself lying on a big soft bed, and the surroundings were strange yet familiar. After about ten seconds, he finally remembered where he was.

  He felt it was familiar because he had slept here for more than ten years, but it felt strange because he hadn't seen this room for several years.

  Yes, when he woke up, he found himself back in his old bedroom.

  After living in that small house in the downtown area for a long time, Shao Qinghe suddenly returned to his old bedroom. His first reaction was: My old bedroom was actually... this big? It's too big...

  He looked at the ceiling above his head and fell into deep thought. Slowly, he remembered that those things were all bought by him. He used to like such shiny things, but times have changed and he no longer likes them.

  Shao Qinghe turned his head and looked out the window. Through the gap in the curtains, he could vaguely see a little bit of the lush green garden outside. The sky above his head was exceptionally blue, and it felt refreshing just by looking at it.

  When he just woke up, Shao Qinghe was in a daze for a long time. It was not for any other reason, but because he had been looking at the gray sky in the lower city for too long, so when he first saw that clear blue sky, he subconsciously thought it was fake.

  The wounds on his forehead, hands, neck, and abdomen seemed to have been carefully treated. Maybe someone even gave him a bath. When he woke up, he felt comfortable all over, without any sticky feeling.

  After observing for about ten minutes, Shao Qinghe was certain that there must be surveillance in this room. It was not because he discovered the surveillance, but because he had just woken up and there was movement at the door.

  Huo Chulai, who pushed the door open, was wearing a neat uniform. His hair was a little messy and his breathing was a little rapid. It was obvious that he was walking in a hurry and couldn't even maintain his demeanor.

  Just looking at the neat work uniform and the bloody smell lingering around him, Shao Qinghe guessed, could it be that he was working on something and found out that he woke up, so he dropped his work and rushed back to see him?

  If he hadn't been keeping an eye on the situation here all the time, how could he have arrived so quickly?

  "Qinghe? Can you hear me?" Huo Chulai walked to Shao Qinghe's bedside, took off his gloves skillfully, and touched his forehead. "Do you feel better now?"

  Shao Qinghe just woke up. He didn't know how long he had been unconscious, but he could feel that the wounds on his body had been treated well. It might also be because he was injected with painkillers when he was unconscious, so he didn't feel any pain at all now.

  The sharp and piercing tinnitus also disappeared. If it weren't for the bandages on his head and neck, he would almost think that he was not injured at all.

  It seems that the medical equipment in Shangcheng District has been updated again.

  "Qinghe?"

  Shao Qinghe first nodded to indicate that he was feeling a little better now, and his eyes unconsciously lingered on Huo Chulai's little finger which was missing a part.

  Is it because he has one less knuckle than normal people that he wears gloves all year round to cover it up?

  Indeed, although it is not easy to see when wearing gloves, it is very clear once the gloves are taken off. His little finger is obviously much shorter than the other fingers, and the cut surface is very smooth after so many years.