13- Three's A Company

“She-ut!-et th-brill-” That’s all I could hear as I drifted in and out of consciousness. I tried lifting my head, when it just fell back down.

“O-ow, my head hurts.” I managed to say. I looked over at the paramedic, she was trying not to panic as my machines just kept beeping. “What does all this beeping mean?”

“It-um-well.” She couldn’t think straight, I guess she’s new to this? Then another woman began to speak.

“This one,” she pointed to one of the machines, “means that your blood pressure is decreasing, and this one means that your heart rate is increasing.” She explained them in a slower tone, which helped understand a lot better.

“Am I- am I going to d-die?” I looked up at the woman, staring her straight in her deep, brown eyes. She gulped.

“I-I don’t think so, sweetheart. You just have a little loss of blood from your leg wound.” I had forgotten about my broken leg, I looked down. It was all bandaged up and put in-between two cardboard pieces, to keep it in place until I could have surgery to fix it.

We arrived at the hospital about 5 quiet minutes later. My gurney was rushed in the door and straight into surgery. After a 3 hour surgery on my leg, I was asked for my color choice on my cast. “Umm, do you have lime green?” Green was always my favorite color, not so sure why. Maybe it’s all that Irish in me.

“I’ll be right back with your color choice, miss.” The doctor told me. Ashe walked out of the room, I began to have some leg pain. Just then, my nurse walked though the door.

“Hi, Skylar. My name’s Amber, I’m going to be your day nurse.” She was really sweet, pretty too.

“H-hi Amber. Nice to me-meet you.” I managed to say. She noticed my struggling and went to go get some medicine that I could take to reduce the pain. “Thanks.”

“Here you go, Miss Skylar.” She handed me a cup of water and two small pills.

“Can I ask you a question?” I really wanted to know how my mother was doing.

“Sure thing sweetheart.” She seemed so oblivious.

“Do you know how my mother is doing? A-and the baby?” I felt a tear going down my face.

“I don’t know at the moment, I’ll go check as soon as you take your medicine. As she said that, the regular doctor, Dr. Malcolm, came in with my cast color. He placed in on, and by the time he was finished, Amber had come back.

“Skylar?” her voice was pitched, “ Your mom is doing fine, but the babies-”